Gen 2 alpha on pre alpha bellhousing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen 2 alpha on pre alpha bellhousing.

I have bought a 79 sea ray with what appears to be a new gen 2 Alpha ! sterndrive installed. I figure this out because the trim cylinders seem to be too long. Every thing i read says this cant be done as the Gen 2 wont bolt up to the pre alpha bell\gimbal\ transom. The # on the transom is 5311400. The out drive has bolts holding the upper/lower together and a squared off anti ventilation plate as weel as the swept keg and smooth upper cap. What can i do? Will this work with the proper trim cylinders?

It is possible to bolt a Gen II on to a Gen I bell housing with modifications. If you get the proper trim cylinders it should work.

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

What modifications need to be done? Is there any reason to be leary of them or will it work fine?

Comment

You need to change the shift shaft in the bell housing, but the worst part is you need to grind some clearance where the drive tucks into the gimbal ring. I wouldn't recommend it for that reason.

Tech Support
        Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

The wings on the gimbal ring have already been clearanced. Since its already on there should i stick with it or convert it back to a Gen 1. If i change it back i would need a new gimbal ring right?

Comment

If you change back you would have to change the gimbal ring. I would probably just leave it on there. Just keep an eye on the rings, I would imagine they are somewhat weaker now, but it will probably be ok.

Tech Support

Comment

Thanks tech support, Do you sell the proper trim cylinders that i would need? along with the proper pivot shafts and hardware?

Comment

We have the Trim cylinders available, and we should have the pins available in the next week or so.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
                X