Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitch's SEI Experience

First time boat owner here.

I have been researcing SEI out-drives for about 8 months now, and have found nothing but happy customers out there, with an unbeatable price.

I have acquired a boat that has turned into more of a project than I had ever planned, but really exactly what I was looking for. It is a 1996 Bayliner 1750 originally with a blown up Mercruiser 3.0. Being the gear head/engineer that I am I knew that 3.0 was not going to cut it.

I read several threads with people asking the same questions.. a 3.0L to V8 conversion with the typical boat forum trolls quickly shooting them down saying that it was a waste of money. Well I am here to prove those guys wrong.

I am putting a 295HP Gen III 295hp aluminum block/head motor in this little boat.
    My plan is to go out on the water and surprise some guys with too much money while in a little budget boat.

So needless to say, I fell into a SEI outdrive new in box on a local craigslist.
    Although I do not have the paperwork/warranty of buying new, I still got the product I was after.
    So I had to purchase the gaskets/bellows and looked nowhere else but SEI..

So I am hoping to have the boat on the water in just a few months and will report back with my results.

The SEI drive has a 3 year warranty from the date of the original purchase. In other words 3 years from the date it left our factory. So yours may still have a warranty. If you have the serial numbers, I can check for you.

Regarding the engine, make sure and do some research on lobe separation as a big car cam can have valve overlap which can cause water reversion. You also mentioned an aluminum block. You will want to make sure that you put a closed cooling system on it if that is the case. Also be aware of the water line. You may need to extend the risers to make sure you don't get water in the motor when slowing down.

Tech Support

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
      The SEI drive has a 3 year warranty from the date of the original purchase. In other words 3 years from the date it left our factory. So yours may still have a warranty. If you have the serial numbers, I can check for you.

Regarding the engine, make sure and do some research on lobe separation as a big car cam can have valve overlap which can cause water reversion. You also mentioned an aluminum block. You will want to make sure that you put a closed cooling system on it if that is the case. Also be aware of the water line. You may need to extend the risers to make sure you don't get water in the motor when slowing down.

Tech Support

Thanks for the response and concern, I do appreciate it.

I will see if I can get that serial number and send it to you for curiosity's sake.

The motor is a truck motor, so the factory cam is relatively small, the specs are as follows: 191/190 .457/.466 114

Current plan is through hull exhaust, I am hoping that shutters and flaps should be sufficient with water reversion, but truth will be seeing how it sits on the water.

Comment

Working...
      X