New to boating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to boating

Hello. I am new to boating as well as to this forum so forgive me if I sound ignorant.

I recently purchased from SEI a new complete upper and lower SE106 with the install kit. I also ordered a drive shower, anode kit and bellows kit and I have a few questions.

Just prior to posting this I found the answer to part of my first question. I assembled the halves this weekend, followed the instructions step by step and it took me no time at all, was very easy and I did it without any help and took me under an hour to do. The last step on the instructions says to install the trim tab. I unpacked the trim tab and set it in place. Then I attempted to slide in the Allen bolt, oh oh, doesn't fit in the hole. I just read on another post someone mentioned that you have to put the bolt in place prior to assembling the halves. Might be a good idea to add this to the instruction sheet. My first question is when I unassembled the drive to I need to replace the O-ring around the oil passage and the lock nuts or can I reuse these?

My second question is about the bellows kit. The kit comes with a new gimbal bearing but no gimbal bearing grease seal. Does the grease seal not require replacing when the bearing is? Or should I have ordered that separately?

My third questions is also about the bellows kit. I’ve been reading a lot about the bellows change out job. I do have all the proper tools to do this job and one of the tools is a U-joint bellows sleeve install tool. Where is this sleeve? Is it something I need to order or do I reuse what is on the old bellow?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ron

Ron,

We like questions, so thanks for the post.

We do mention to install the bolt for the trim tab in section 2.2 of the install guide. It is a little brief, so probably easy to miss. You can reuse the o-ring and nuts when you reassemble.

We do not include the seal as most people don't replace it. You could get it from the OE if you want to change it. Personally I would rather have a water leak show up in the boat if the bellows is bad, rather than not knowing the bellows is bad because that seal is keeping the water out. If the boat sits in the water unattended for a long time, then you would want it sealed.

The sleeve only applies to the newer style Alpha One Gen II. Your older one uses two hose clamps for the u-joint bellows, the newer ones use a hose clamp on the boat end, and then a sleeve on the drive end.

Tech Support

Comment

Oh wow, I can't believe I missed it, lol. I read the instructions over and over, I read them even before I got the drive and I never noticed that. My apologize. In my defense as I said I am new to boating and it was only this weekend that I found out that this part is called the "trim tab" Oh well, not a huge deal, I know have experience with assembling the parts so it should go even quicker this time.

What you mention about the seal was exactly my thought. I would like to know if there is water in the bellows so I had the heads up on water in the UJ bellows. Bellows should be made of clear material so you could see inside. However I will be in the situation where the boat will be in the water all summer in a slip about 2 hours way from where I live so I should replace the seal.

OK I see, the sleeve is for new drives. I ordered a tool kit that has the installation tool for the sleeve which I don't need. It also has the bellows expander but that is just for the exhaust bellows. So I will still have to wrestle with the UJ bellows to get it on since there doesn't appear to be tool for this? Or is this bellow easier to install?

Ron

Comment

There is no tool since the U-joint bellows is much easier since both the bellows and the flange are round. The exhaust bellows is round, and the flange is oval, so that is why there is a special tool.

Tech Support

Comment

That makes sense. Thank you very much for the help.

Ron

Comment

I actually have one more question. My new SE106, on the lower starboard mounting hole where it will be bolted to the bell houseing there is an extra hole. Looking at it from the drive shaft side the hole looks to be about 3/8" but it does not go all the way through at this size. From the back of the drive the hole is about 3/16". My old drive has the small 3/16" hole from the back but from the drive shaft side it has no hole. The 3/16" hole on the old drive had a screw in it which held on a sort of tear drop washer. What is the purpose of this hole in my new drive? Also can you tell me what these weird washers are on my old drive? Also when I was assembling the two halves I noticed one of these washers on my old drive on the front bolt by the shift shaft.

Hope there is no limit to number of questions one can ask, otherwise I am in trouble

Comment

Those are continuity washers, meant to make sure the drives are connected together as far as having a good ground goes. They are not really necessary, so most people leave them off.

You could try to use the one on the upper, but you would need to find a 1/4" self tapping screw.

No limit to the question, but i may run out of answers eventually :)

Tech Support

Comment

My boat will be sitting in the water for the full summer about 4 months. Would you recommend using the washers or still say they are not necessary? I could tap the hole on the upper and get a stainless steel bolt to attach it. Also both anodes on the gen 1 are on the lower so it would make sense to me that the top washer would not do any good unless the bottom one by the shift shaft was also in place. It would also be simple to install but would involve drilling a hole for the bolt and cutting threads for it. Would this void the warranty?

Obviously I don't want to create more work for myself so if it is unnecessary I don't want to waste my time but I also want this drive to last me a long long time and want to do what I can to take care of it.

Ron

I forgot to mention it is fresh water the boat is sitting in.
                Last edited by kehfab; 03-26-2013, 09:50 AM.

Comment

I think I may have answered my own question here after reading a little more about this. I just took a multi meter set it to test continuity, held it on the top cap bolt and on the prop shaft and beep. Then top cap bolt and the slot where the trim tab goes and beep. Then finally I tested from the vent cap to the drain cap and beep every time so continuity must be fine. So I don't think it would be necessary to add the washers.

Comment

Working...
                  X