Oil leak trough shift bushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leak trough shift bushing

I have 2 year old SE-116 which has run only about 20 hours. During the winter I noticed that there were oil leaking out. I found out that it is leaking trough the shift bushing. It does look like the oil seal is 'loose'.
    it wanders up on the lower shift shaft. Isn't supposed to stay down in the shift bushing/house?

There is a small sleeve that sits on top of the seal to stop junk from getting into it. That sleeve can be moved up and down. The seal should be below that and is stationary in the bushing.

It should be under warranty. Call the warranty department with your serial number and they will either send you the part of have you ship the unit in depending on your preferences.

Tech Support

Tech Support

Comment

Hi and thank you for the answer. In my case the oil seal is not stationary in the bushing so that might be the problem. Since I live in Norway,Scandinavia, it would be better if you could provide me the part number of the oil seal so I can purchase it in a local mercruiser store.

Comment

I would recommend buying the bushing assembly. It is part number 23-815921a21

Tech Support

Comment

Hi again. I have now replaced the oil seal in the shift bushing. The old one was pretty damaged. It was in two pieces. I put the drive back on the boat again, and started to pump in the gear oil. After a little over 1 litre, it started to leak oil again from the same little hole in the sterndrive. I drained the drive again and opened it and now it seems to be leaking from the upper part. It looks like it is coming from where the drive shaft is entering the upper part. There is a double lip seal there p/n 94-116-07. How is it possible that sterndrive this new is leaking from several places? It has only a few hours use since the required 15 hours of slow running (low rpm)

Comment

That seal in the upper always looks like it is leaking because when you separate the halves, any residual oil in the upper will run out that spot since it seals on the driveshaft of the lower unit. It is possible to damage the seal when assembling it if you are not gentle putting the halves together. I think you are best off putting it together and pressure testing it to find the leak.

Tech Support

Comment

OK, thanks. Is it possible to just pressure test only the lower part i f I plug the oil passage to the upper part?

Comment

Yes, you can do that.

Tech Support

Comment

I found the leakage, and it was a mistake that I had done when I mounted the shift bushing part. :-) But thanks for all advises and good knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                  X