Shifting is difficult from forward to reverse, missing nuetral sometimes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifting is difficult from forward to reverse, missing nuetral sometimes

I did post this a couple days agao but in the wrong segment, I'm a newbi to the forum so I'll try this again..
    I have a 1980 Searay and just had a new SE 106 upper/lower unit installed. Went to go break it in and it ran fantastic but when I tried to put it in reverse the leg kicked up on 2 seperate occassions. Once I stoped the engine and finally found neutral I started it back up and put it in forward and it ran great again. Any idea why the leg would kick up at about 2000rpm when going into reverse, under 2000rpm it would run fine.
    When I have it out of the water it runs great in forward and reverse and finding neutral is no problem
    When I was out it was also diificult to find neutral as sometimes in went starit into reverse, is it the same problem.

As I tried docking in kept stalling, is it due to the leg? The engine is running great and only 60hrs on new rebuilt

Also had a humming sound, I've read in a few different forms that this humming sound is typical and will eventaully go away, is it typical?

I have a mecahnic lookin at it next week but I want to put some more hours on the leg this weekend, would I be harming it if I only stayed in forward because when I did it ran fantastic. I need hrs on it to get ready for a trip

I got you the answer for the reverse kicking up the drive issue in the other thread, but to reiterate, it is the reverse lock valve. If you do not give it gas in reverse, then it should not damage anything.

It also sounds like you are having some shifting issues which is usually due to a shift adjustment issue. You can email tech@sterndrive.cc and ask for the shift adjustment document, or have your mechanic check that out.

The humming or whining noise is fairly typical. It will get quieter as you break it in.

Thanks,

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
    X