Paint flaking and corrosion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint flaking and corrosion

I had my mechanic install a SE106 on my 1987 21' SeaRay Bowrider 2 years ago. I run the boat about 10 to 20 hours each summer. I also trailer the boat, flush and clean after every use. Besides replacing the impeller sooner than expected the drive has run well for me so far. Over this last winter I had the original engine replaced with a Merc 350 MAG. I've been out on the water twice this year with the new motor totaling maybe 3 hours breaking in the engine and testing new props (was running a 23p alum before engine swap... changed to a 23p SS... still over reving so I will be testing a 25p SS next time out).

Even though I have not had any performance issues with the drive so far I did notice after my last time on the water that a good bit of paint has flaked away from the very top of the drive leading to some corrosion. The rest of my drive is still in very good condition with paint intact. My question is this normal or a sign of something more serious such as too much heat? If it is normal how do you suggest to re-paint?

By the way I also checked the gear lube level and it is at the appropriate level and was changed before I took it out this season. I know the new motor is producing significantly more power, 300 hp vs 230, but your website indicates that these drives are warranted up to 300hp.

SAM_1028.jpgSAM_1029.jpgSAM_1030.jpgSAM_1031.jpg

The top cover does get quite hot when under way. If you keep the boat on plane for more than 20 minutes at a time, a drive shower is recommended.

To repaint, you can actually remove the top cap, just mind the oring when removing. Then sand it down to get rid of any of the corrosion. Then use an etching primer and gloss black paint.

The drive is good for 300 hp.

Tech Support

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
      The top cover does get quite hot when under way. If you keep the boat on plane for more than 20 minutes at a time, a drive shower is recommended.

To repaint, you can actually remove the top cap, just mind the oring when removing. Then sand it down to get rid of any of the corrosion. Then use an etching primer and gloss black paint.

The drive is good for 300 hp.

Tech Support
      It is not that often that I'm on plane for 20 minutes. I'm typically in and around Virginia Beach (Bay and Ocean), Norfolk and the ICW. With all the no wake zones and bridges by the time you've traveled 20 minutes on plane you have to bring it back down.

Given that I rarely stay up on plane long periods of time would you still recommend a drive shower for drive longevity? Or should some paint every couple years be sufficient?

What grit sand paper and what type of paint do you recommend? What temperatures does that part of the drive reach on plane?

Comment

A drive shower is always a good thing. It will extend the life since it will help cool the oil. The drive probably gets to about 200-225. If you have a west marine nearby, they have spray cans that will work for what your doing. I don't remember the brand name.

Tech Support

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
          A drive shower is always a good thing. It will extend the life since it will help cool the oil. The drive probably gets to about 200-225. If you have a west marine nearby, they have spray cans that will work for what your doing. I don't remember the brand name.

Tech Support
          Thank you for assistance. West Marine was able to get me the right paint to fix it right up and I placed an order on your website for a drive shower. Although I don't put a lot of hours on this boat... I have put a lot $$ into it and I'd like take every precaution to make it last until I'm ready for new boat. (I'll never buy a used boat again!)

SAM_1033.jpg

Comment

Working...
          X