200HP 2-Stroke Counter Rotating Lower Unit Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200HP 2-Stroke Counter Rotating Lower Unit Update

I bought a used boat that had a shot counter rotating lower unit (electrolysis, saltwater, corrosion, etc.) After searching high and low for reviews of SEI lower units I placed a call to SEI and was promptly greeted by a very knowledgeable technician. The technician openly admitted that the parts are sourced from abroad (as are Yamaha's) and assembled locally in Florida, I had no problem with that. They stated several days to prepare the unit and ship however it shipped the following day, a huge plus.

The unit arrived well packaged, with a quart of lower unit oil and the extra gaskets I asked for. The installation went without a hitch and everything lined up as good as the OEM it replaced. Breaking in the lower unit was going to be a challenge with an Outrage 26, 200 gallons of fuel and 10 pax to the South Channel Islands off California but weather permitted following the instructions to a T. After the trip I changed the lower unit oil and found what anyone would expect, oil with a light metallic swirl as it left the lower drain plug and a cluster of metal shavings on the magnetic plug. I topped off the unit with new oil and have since placed 40 hours on the new unit, some of which with the full 200HP pumping through the gears on a 49 mile glassy day.

All in all I am pleased with the purchase and so far it seems to be money well saved (About $1050 vs $2400). To keep the review honest I have to post some cons. The paint did not match my 15 year old Yami but I am not sure if there is a color difference between salt water and freshwater versions or over the years. After I slap some bottom paint on it no one will even care or notice for that matter. The quality of the casting is acceptable. There are obvious indications they struggle with the castings and considerable grinding and prepping takes place afterwards. I noticed one small area of porosity in the casting below the intake vent, not worried about it.

Thanks SEI!

Rich

The amount of metal I expected to see after break in.
    Jul312013_5490.jpg

The oil looked great, you can see the finishing marks on the casting.
    Jul312013_5491.jpg

This loaded up over 10K pounds is as good of a test as any.
    Jul172013_5462.jpg

UPDATE: The lower unit let go today, almost exactly 50 hours after install. Just finishing up a high powered cruise in the causeway and noticed something odd upon throttle back. As the boat slowed a bit more than normal for the throttle reduction a quick scan of the tachs showed the right engine at 3,300 and the left at 6,800, 1,300 RPMs past redline. The lower unit was unresponsive to gear changes and it appears the lower unit blew out. Unfortunately SEI is closed for another week over the holidays. Glad I wasn't 110 miles out to sea at the middle grounds.

More to follow.

Comment

I apologize for the issue, but we will get you taken care of. I have created an RG for you so you can get it shipped into us, that way we can jump on it as soon as we get back to work. The RG# is RG5735 Please write that in large letters on the outside of the box and ship it to us at:
      115 Forest Lakes Blvd. S.
      Oldsmar, FL 34677

Thanks, and Happy Holidays.

Tech Support

Comment

UPDATE: I rolled into SEI on January 2nd and two gentlemen were there to greet and receive the unit. The tech looking over the unit figured out it was a snapped drive shaft and said he would have it up and running in two business days. While there I got a tour of the shop where they tear down and rebuild prototype units. To say they do a lot of R&D would be an understatement.

I got a call on the 6th that the unit was ready for pickup. I arrived the morning of the 7th and discussed what was done to the unit. The original housing was not up to their quality standards so they replaced it. The original gears looked ok but they had some difficulty with the backlash so they replaced them. In the end they basically rebuilt an entire new unit from the latest version of parts, prop shafts, drive shafts, gears, bearings, shims, etc.

The new unit has been installed and I will get some time on her towards the end of the month. So far two thumbs up with these guys.

Comment

UPDATE: 50 hours later and the unit is still running offshore.

Comment

Working...
          X