outdrive overspray ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• outdrive overspray ??

I have a 25' bayliner cruiser with an Omc Cobra, which has had an SEI 116 outdrive on it. the way I understand it these are basically a Mercruiser outdrive. yet the exhaust bellows used is a vented type which apparently the old Omc outdrives used. Is there any reason I cannot put a NON-vented type exhaust bellows on in place of the vented one, I ask because at cruising speed the outdrive seems to put out a fine water mist straight up above the outdrive, and the vacuum created in the passenger area pulls that fine mist right in on the rear passengers, which, when it's 95 degrees is fine, but not when it's 65 degrees. I'm otherwise stumped as to why I get such a mist up from the outdrive, and it's been suggested it is because of using a vented bellows ?? I also have bennett trim tabs, which I have wondered is the cause ............... Any other ideas !

I'm not sure the bellows would be the cause of that. I also don't believe there is a non vented version of that bellows so I'm not sure if you have any other options. You could get a mercruiser exhaust bellows, but you would have to find some way of mounting it to the larger flange on the OMC transom assembly.

As far as the tabs, if you put them all the way up, that should reduce the effect if that is the cause, although i'm sure you have tried that already.

Tech Support

Comment

speedometer pickup line

Originally posted by admin View Post
      I'm not sure the bellows would be the cause of that. I also don't believe there is a non vented version of that bellows so I'm not sure if you have any other options. You could get a mercruiser exhaust bellows, but you would have to find some way of mounting it to the larger flange on the OMC transom assembly.

As far as the tabs, if you put them all the way up, that should reduce the effect if that is the cause, although i'm sure you have tried that already.

Tech Support
      I am also using the old fashioned speedo pick up tube on the transom, which has been suggested as a cause for this overspray, after getting the boat out of the water i see that there is a pickup hole on the front of the bottom leg of the outdrive, just like the Mercruisers have, the hole was clogged with mud, I have cleaned it out, however I also see that there is no hose connected to the upper end of this pickup that would go on through to the transom, and then on to the speedometer. apparently when this sei116 was installed the speedo hose wasn't. Is this hose available, it looks like there needs to be a special connector that would fit on a nipple type thing, and then on to the speedometer ? ?

Comment

FWIW, you probably already know but if you have the vented exhaust bellows make sure the vent holes are all the way down at the 6 o'clock position.
        I understand you can even do away with the exhaust bellows if you don't mind a little more noise.

Comment

Working...
        X