My Conversion Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Conversion Experience

I had a 89 Cobra drive that ate it's gears and was very difficult to get out of gear. Adjusting was impossible.
    I purchased the conversion kit and 116 and here are my observations that I hope will help others with their decision to purchase and installation.
    Shipping was insanely fast. Rob in tech support was great and helped answer a few questions I had.
    the big questions people have are as follows along with my observations
    1) reversing the throw of the shift. I was worried about that as well. I have a Bayliner with the standard US Marine shifter. Unscrew it from the wall. unbolt the arms and move them 180 degrees in the oposite direction and reconnect the cables.. easily done and worked great.
    2) Bypassing the ESA.. I kept the unit in tact for first sea trial and I am glad I did. Shifting was buttery smooth with just the partial (OMC way) stumble. On my engine It was impossible to get the interrupter to re center when going into forward. all cables are smooth and free but the V-notch just would not center.. this would stumble the engine in forward gear.. Due to my leaving the system in tact. I just adjusted the forward overstroke switch to be engaged at forward.. This overstroke of course cancels the "stumble" in gear as designed and all is good.
    3) the exhaust bellows. Left it off. boat is not much louder and really dont notice it missing. no worries there.
    4) drive was quiet and I could not be happier with my purchase.. If It were not for SEI, I would not have been able to afford to fix my boat.
    5) If you have an old cobra, you would be very happy with the SEI. Shiting smooth again without the crazy cable adjustements will be a blessing.

Going on year 2 with my OMC conversion. could not be happier. Smooth shifts and absolutely no problems.

Comment

Year 3 complete. Absolutely no problems. Love the drive.

Comment

Finished year 4 and I am thrilled with my conversion from OMC.
        Flawless operation.
        Thanks again SEI!!!!
        Jon

Comment

Finishing Year 5.
          Thank you again for this great conversion Kit.
          No problems at all.
          I just installed one on a friends Boat after she saw how boating should be. Her Cobra drive was junk!!

Comment

Working...
          X