Anode bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anode bolt

When installing my new SEI 106 upper and lower outdrive units, I went to install my anode using the allen bolt from my oem Merc outdrive. The bolt has a 5/8 inch head. The anode bolt hole on the new unit is 1/2 diameter. Is this a common issue? Prior to purchase, SEI sales rep said no need to purchase GEN I install kit if I could reuse hardware from OEM drive. Can you please provide bolt size dimensions.

The bolt should be installed before the two halves are put together. Unfortunately you have to separate the halves to get the bolt back where it belongs. That is the Mercruiser design.

Tech Support

Comment

Thank you for the response. We might be talking about two different allen bolts. The bolt I am referring to holds the anode trim tab to the lower gear housing. This anode must first be removed while the upper and lower gear housing are together to gain access to the second allen bolt used to secure the lower and upper gear housings together. The Merc-Cruiser part number for the anode mounting bolt is 10-32470 (SEI 98-102-34). It is my assumption this bolt first must be removed to remove the anode, which in turn gains access to the lower unit mounting bolt (Merc 10-30206 / SEI 98-102-35). If the anode bolt was installed before the two halves were put together, the hole for the second lower unit mounting bolt would inaccessible.

The first allen bolt used to secure the anode has a head diameter larger than the access hole on the upper gear housing. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks again.

Comment

We are talking about the same bolt. What I am saying is that you insert the bolt through the lower case before putting the upper and lower together. That does not mean that you have to install the anode, just the bolt.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
        X