Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mercrusier Alpha One second generation, engine dies/no sparrk when shifted into gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercrusier Alpha One second generation, engine dies/no sparrk when shifted into gear

I have a 85 Searay weekender with the Alpha one second generation 260 HP drive. I replaced the Command controller, because of a no throttle only situation, made the cable adjustments and the engine dies/no spark, when shifted into gear, forward or reverse. It was okay before this, the drive was removed to replace the water pump assm. Other than that it starts and runs/cools fine? It has had a history of having to spray the cutout switch with WD 40 to work one time, I haven't got into that yet. What is the best way to diagnose that?
    Last edited by checkitout; 07-09-2014, 08:27 PM.

My first thought would be the cutout switch. Is it being activated when it is shifted in to gear? That will definitely kill the spark. Since you have a new control, it may have more overall throw than the old one, so you may have to adjust the slotted stud on the bracket. If you email tech@sterndrive.cc they can forward you a shift document that gets into those settings.

The best way to diagnose the switch is to put an ohm meter on it, and see if it is closing when it is not supposed to.

I'm drawing a blank as to what the neutral safety switch in the control does. I believe it kills the starting circuit so it won't turn over when it is in gear? If thats the case, that is not the problem, but if it just interrupts the ignition circuit, in other words, if the engine turns over, but doesn't start, then it could be that switch also.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
    X