New SE 416 on a Yamaha 1995 150 txrt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New SE 416 on a Yamaha 1995 150 txrt

Just finished installing my new se 416 on my Yamaha 150, took about 30 minutes to install, and fill the oil....started the engine and ran on idle for 10 minutes each in forward and reverse for an initial thrust free break in, and will be headed out Monday for a nice long day of normal in-water break in.

I mounted my Davis Instruments Cavitation plate to the unit with ease, and was informed by a very helpful SEI staff that this installation would not void any warranty as long as the mounting was done through the se 416 cavitation plate only.

Unit sounds solid and quiet when in either gear, and shifts nice and solid, too.

The finish on the unit is pretty close to factory perfect, definitely good enough for my aesthetic expectations.

Used Sierra HP non synthetic lower unit lube for initial fill, and will use Yamaha Synthetic lube after break in.

My one suggestion to those installing their own lower unit is to make sure the shift rod and shift rod tube splines are aligned perfectly before completing installation, as it could cause the shift cable adjustment to be a bit off, resulting in some inaccurate shifting during use, which could eventually lead to some sort of mechanical failure down the road.

If you feel the tube is misaligned due to some clicking when the prop is turned by hand out of the water, just remove the bolts, drop it down and realign the unit-then reinstall, instead of trying to take the misalignment out by adjusting the shift cables.

Updates to come soon.
    Cheers
    Dave

Six hours in, and no problems, even got caught under Belleair Causeway in Largo, Florida in a thunderstorm, shifting in and out of gear to keep the boat centered..sure, I couldve anchored, but hey, they said at least 10 shifts..LOL!

Didnt exceed 2000 rpm for the first 3 hours, then slowly popped it on a plane and cruised at 3100-3300 several times for a few minutes each time. Ran about 24 mph at that rpm.

Varied rpm all day, only heard a bit of gear whining in reverse, nothing abnormal though.

All in all, the lower unit seems to work fine, and shift nice and solid, will refill with fluid today after draining is complete...and post a pic of the plug for good measure.

Cheers!
    Dave

Comment

Changed lube but no pictures..there just wasnt any metal on the magnet to speak of. I put another 5 hours on this week, and then onto the next 10 hours of normal use except no WOT.

Shifts perfect, pumps water perfect, and the boat performs exactly like it did before.

Finish seems sturdy enough.

Cheers!
      Dave

Comment

Working...
      X