Optimal break in procedure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimal break in procedure

I have read the break in procedures in the faqs, but I also remember reading that SEI uses an even more thorough procedure where they run at 1k rpm for the first hour, then increase by 500 rpm every hour thereafter for 5 hours. Is this optimal? If so, then once you hit the 3rd hour you're having to run 2k rpm which is really inefficient and results in quite the drag on the drive doesn't it?

Depending on the boat, it may make sense to get up on plane, and then pull back the throttle to get the rpms down. basically it depends on how low your rpm's can be and still be on plane. If the number is 3,000 then run up to 2500, then for the 3,000 rpm hour, go past it to get up on plane, then pull back to 3,000. Make sense?

Tech Support

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
      Depending on the boat, it may make sense to get up on plane, and then pull back the throttle to get the rpms down. basically it depends on how low your rpm's can be and still be on plane. If the number is 3,000 then run up to 2500, then for the 3,000 rpm hour, go past it to get up on plane, then pull back to 3,000. Make sense?

Tech Support
      Okay, so do I need to run it at inefficient rpms during the break-in? Meaning I don't need to run at 2,000 rpm, then 2,500 rpm when my planing/cruise is at 3,200...

Comment

You can get it on plane and just stay below 75 percent throttle, but for the best break in, I would still do a few hours at lower rpm. 1,000, 1500, then 2,000. After that then get up on plane and then run on plane for the rest. You are trying to slowly apply more load to the gears while the pattern spreads out over the teeth.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
        X