Gear lube leaking from weep hole, SE 106

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear lube leaking from weep hole, SE 106

At the end of last season, I removed my drive to replace the impeller. Put it back together and filled it with gear lube. Over the winter it sat in it's stand. It has leaked fluid from the weep hole. I just drained it and took it apart, thinking the quad ring must have fallen out when I put it back together, but it is there. Where could this leak be coming from. It wasn't leaking before I took it apart.

Thanks for any help...

Most likely is the shift bushing. After that the water pump base and then the seal in the upper. Was it sitting straight up and down or was it tilted more like when it is trimmed up? If it was straight up and down it is more likely to be the shift bushing. Best way to find a leak is to pressure test it.

Tech Support

Comment

I just took the pump apart and the gasket is wet with lube and wet all around the base. I am tending to think it may be the base. It was standing straight up. The upper is dry. If it was the shift bushing would the pump base get that wet? I ordered the bushing and another pump assembly. Is the bushing hard to replace? I see in diagrams that there is an oil seal with it, would that come with the bushing?

BTW, very impressed with the drive, and even more so with the quick response here... on a Saturday no less.

Thanks.
      Last edited by fish guts; 03-21-2015, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Since the base was so wet, hopefully that it is. The bushing is not too hard to replace, although there is a special tool required that looks like a socket but it has a hole in it and two notches to grab the bushing. When removing it, you want to keep the drive straight up and down and try not to pull the shaft out with the bushing.

The oil seal and o-ring should come with the bushing.

Tech Support

Comment

Its definitely the drive shaft seals leaking and the cartridge comes with new seals & oring.Ken

Comment

You could take a 3/4 impact socket and cut everything away with a die grinder cut-off wheel leaving the 2 legs

Comment

Working...
            X