gimbal bearing not seating.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gimbal bearing not seating.

Replaced bellows and bearing due to small leak. Still leaking so pulled all apart. While poking around I noticed that I can spin the bearing on its axis. Huh? It's tight enough so that I'll need a puller to get it out.
    I was there when the mechanic drove the bearing home - good, solid sound. What in the world could cause that?

I'm not sure what you mean by spin the bearing on its axis? A gimbal bearing by definition can rotate in its outer housing. if you meant the entire bearing (both the bearing and the outer housing) Is rotating in the gimbal bearing, that is bad. Can you try to clarify your issue?

Tech Support

Comment

you're correct on your second statement.

Comment

O.K. I have been notified that I am a complete idiot. The bearing will do as tech support mentioned, much to my lack of knowledge. However, after all that is said and done the main problem still rears its ugly head -- a leak from the I / O drive. Going to tear everything apart and redo. This has turned into a real pain.

Comment

Being a GEN II type the bellows is glued and clamped at the transom and has an inner ring that seals the gimbal housing side. Correctly installed should not leak. The think rubber ring in the mounting kit must be glued into the housing first.

Comment

Was there water in the u-joint bellows? If not check the shift cable bellows.Ive also seen holes in the exhaust pipe that will leak into boat. Could also be a leak between gimbal housing & transom.Ken

Comment

Working...
            X