Lower unit slipping under load?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower unit slipping under load?

93 Yamaha lower unit installed last season ran fine 2014 and up until this month from April 2015....then seemed to start slipping...finally lost thrust completely in fwd and reverse? Seems to shift F N R but can turn prop manually in both directions in gear? When out of the water in gear prop seems to turn F and R but in water, no thrust? We thought at first it might be spun prop, but when we checked and found we could turn in gear both directions without locking, we knew it was something in the unit...maybe clutch dogs? There is no grinding noise shifting in F N R ? Water pump seems to be pumping ok and engine runs ok...but just before the gears slipped, it started overheating all alert warnings came on...oil to engine was fine, water pump seemed to be pumping??? What do you think the problem may be?

Thanks

Please look at your thread over in general discussion.

Tech Support

Comment

Lower unit shipping under warranty?

Originally posted by admin View Post
      Please look at your thread over in general discussion.

Tech Support
      My mechanic checked out my unit, which was only 1 season old and determined that it had an issue with failure of the clutch dogs and sent it back to you for repair. My question is, is shipping covered in the warranty? Because of the size and weight, it could be substantial. The unit has been at your plant now for over three weeks and we last checked, we were told that you had a shortage of cases for repairs? I thought that you would use the old case as it was in seemingly good shape still?

I would appreciate answers to those two concerns...who pays for shipping a returned unit under warranty and why not use old cases if still serviceable?

Thanks,
      Leo Mehalic
      Annapolis, MD

Comment

Originally posted by sailingunc View Post
        93 Yamaha lower unit installed last season ran fine 2014 and up until this month from April 2015....then seemed to start slipping...finally lost thrust completely in fwd and reverse? Seems to shift F N R but can turn prop manually in both directions in gear? When out of the water in gear prop seems to turn F and R but in water, no thrust? We thought at first it might be spun prop, but when we checked and found we could turn in gear both directions without locking, we knew it was something in the unit...maybe clutch dogs? There is no grinding noise shifting in F N R ? Water pump seems to be pumping ok and engine runs ok...but just before the gears slipped, it started overheating all alert warnings came on...oil to engine was fine, water pump seemed to be pumping??? What do you think the problem may be?

Thanks
        Thanks for info...we varified that the unit had bad clutch paws and warranty office authorized sending it back...it has been over three weeks and when we checked, were told you were backed up for cases to use to repair the unit under warranty. I have missed three weeks or more of prime boating season, plus had to pay over $200 for shipping? Why? Once it is fixed, is it warranteed for another three years...and who pays to ship it back to me?

Comment

Not happy with warrasnty service!

Originally posted by sailingunc View Post

Thanks
          Thanks for info...we varified that the unit had bad clutch paws and warranty office authorized sending it back...it has been over three weeks and when we checked, were told you were backed up for cases to use to repair the unit under warranty. I have missed three weeks or more of prime boating season, plus had to pay over $200 for shipping? Why? Once it is fixed, is it warranteed for another three years...and who pays to ship it back to me?

Comment

Working...
          X