Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just installed me SE116 1.62, question now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just installed me SE116 1.62, question now...

had 335 hours on my original Merc A1G2 and it blew the top gears. After reading tons of great reviews about SEI I bit the bullet and ordered a complete unit from them (upper/lower). My boat was originally equiped with a 1.65 ratio and a 5.0 EFI (240hp). I naturally ordered what it originally came with (the now 1.62). Install went super smooth and I have followed the breakin procedure thoroughly. Put 10 hours on it now and it runs super smooth. I was skimming the forums here though and noticed quite a few people had issues with their 1.62's breaking the upper gears rather quickly and SEI suggesting 1.47. This has me worried not as I dont want to be out there stuck because of the same failure. I also saw though that those posts were from 2011 and earlier and hadn't run into any since then. Now my question would be, is this still an issue or has that been corrected in the metal being used? If it was never corrected then why not just sell the 1.47 instead of the 1.62?

We originally modeled our 1.62 gears after the Mercruiser gears. It became apparent that the gears were not strong enough with that design. We then redesigned it to be much stronger. You would have what we call the Heavy Duty 1.62 gears, so you will be fine.

Tech Support

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
      We originally modeled our 1.62 gears after the Mercruiser gears. It became apparent that the gears were not strong enough with that design. We then redesigned it to be much stronger. You would have what we call the Heavy Duty 1.62 gears, so you will be fine.

Tech Support
      That's fantastic news and a huge relief to hear. I was freaking out for a bit there, lol. I did notice that the tag with the drive specifically stated 1.62 HD so thats great that you guys not only make a fantastic OE replacement drive but also improve upon the original design at a phenomenally better price with a much better warranty. So glad I purchased the complete drive from you guys, thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X