Thread: 1989 Chaparral 200 XLC drive issue

Default 1989 Chaparral 200 XLC drive issue

New to the group and semi new to boating. I bought a used 89 Chaparral 200 with 5.0 mercruiser alpha one, we were at lake last weekend....our 3rd time out when all the sudden boat quit pulling and engine revved. I have looked at several posts and what I did notice before the incident was a vibration while slightly turning with a tuber on the back. I have checked to see if prop is free and it is. I removed bottom cable and moved it forwards and backwards to make sure shift shaft was engaging while spinning prop and it was in both directions. I even started it and tried to engage manually and prop didn't spin. So I am assuming the joint between engine and drive has come loose or broken. Would this be an accurate assumption? How much time and money involved with a repair like this. I am planning to do work myself but may take to marine mechanic if too involved. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffryda9681 View Post
    New to the group and semi new to boating. I bought a used 89 Chaparral 200 with 5.0 mercruiser alpha one, we were at lake last weekend....our 3rd time out when all the sudden boat quit pulling and engine revved. I have looked at several posts and what I did notice before the incident was a vibration while slightly turning with a tuber on the back. I have checked to see if prop is free and it is. I removed bottom cable and moved it forwards and backwards to make sure shift shaft was engaging while spinning prop and it was in both directions. I even started it and tried to engage manually and prop didn't spin. So I am assuming the joint between engine and drive has come loose or broken. Would this be an accurate assumption? How much time and money involved with a repair like this. I am planning to do work myself but may take to marine mechanic if too involved. Thanks
    Sounds like you either busted the gears in the top case or broke the driveshaft u joints. More than likely the gears though since you mentioned you had a 5.0 which usually had the 1.65 gears that apparently are prone to breaking.