1989 Chaparral 200 XLC drive issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 Chaparral 200 XLC drive issue

New to the group and semi new to boating. I bought a used 89 Chaparral 200 with 5.0 mercruiser alpha one, we were at lake last weekend....our 3rd time out when all the sudden boat quit pulling and engine revved. I have looked at several posts and what I did notice before the incident was a vibration while slightly turning with a tuber on the back. I have checked to see if prop is free and it is. I removed bottom cable and moved it forwards and backwards to make sure shift shaft was engaging while spinning prop and it was in both directions. I even started it and tried to engage manually and prop didn't spin. So I am assuming the joint between engine and drive has come loose or broken. Would this be an accurate assumption? How much time and money involved with a repair like this. I am planning to do work myself but may take to marine mechanic if too involved. Thanks

Originally posted by Ruffryda9681 View Post
    New to the group and semi new to boating. I bought a used 89 Chaparral 200 with 5.0 mercruiser alpha one, we were at lake last weekend....our 3rd time out when all the sudden boat quit pulling and engine revved. I have looked at several posts and what I did notice before the incident was a vibration while slightly turning with a tuber on the back. I have checked to see if prop is free and it is. I removed bottom cable and moved it forwards and backwards to make sure shift shaft was engaging while spinning prop and it was in both directions. I even started it and tried to engage manually and prop didn't spin. So I am assuming the joint between engine and drive has come loose or broken. Would this be an accurate assumption? How much time and money involved with a repair like this. I am planning to do work myself but may take to marine mechanic if too involved. Thanks
    Sounds like you either busted the gears in the top case or broke the driveshaft u joints. More than likely the gears though since you mentioned you had a 5.0 which usually had the 1.65 gears that apparently are prone to breaking.

Comment

Working...
    X