Thread: Can you determine gear ratio from serial numbers?

Default Can you determine gear ratio from serial numbers?

Hi,

I recently purchased a 1999 Stingray 220sx that would have shipped from the factory with a 350 MAG MPI and an AlphaOne drive with a 1.47 gear ratio. The previous owner installed an SE116 drive (upper and lower), and I am trying to determine the gear ratio it is running. I had the lower unit off for a water pump refresh, and couldn't find any casting marks indicating the 90-116-01"D" designation (or otherwise for that matter) which would tell me the gear ratio, but did find the serial # plates on the upper and lower units. Is it possible to lookup these serials to find out what gearing I have?

Upper unit # 66507
    Lower unit # 69360

Thanks in advance!

It is a 1.47 unit.

Tech Support

Thanks for the quick response. Are you able to provide the date of manufacture of the drive? The previous owner told me it was brand new, but based on the condition of the drive I think "new to this boat" is probably a more accurate statement ;)

July 20th of 2011 is the date we sold it.

Tech Support

Hmm, the timing seems to jive. Maybe the previous owner just liked to run the boat in the sandy shallows then - there is lots of pitting evident on the lower unit.

The drive appears to have been painted (I know the boat itself was painted last year, so i am guessing the drive was touched up at the same time), but the surface is very rough (like it was done in the wind with an almost empty rattle can! :)

Can you recommend a paint that will bring me back to the factory gloss coat. I have a 23 year old drive on my other boat and it still has the smooth/gloss finish on it.

Oops, i mist that post. You will need to smooth it out by sanding it and then get some phantom black from a mercury dealer. It is a rattle can, but it should be full and try not to do it in the wind.

Tech Support