Shift into forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift into forward

At the end of last season I changed the gear oil in my SEI drive (SE106). I noticed a higher than normal amount of collection on the drain plug magnet, as well as visible metal particles in the oil as it drained. I installed new water impeller and refilled the drive with new gear oil before the winter season. At this point I did not expect there to be mechanical failure as boat drove well all season.

First trip with the boat this season was a one hour cruise, 3500 rpm @ 27mph (typical). Coming back to port in no wake zone I heard a unusual whining nose. Took boat out of drive and noise would go away. Multiple times I shifted forward/reverse, and there seemed to be no issue besides the unusual noise. I docked the boat and turned off engine to secure boat to dock. When finished I turned motor back on and attempted to shift into forward. Forward shift failed. Attempted shift to reverse and that worked. Inspected lower shift cable at engine and no visible signs of issue. Will pull boat from water and drain gear oil for inspection. Any other suggestions? ?

Thank you.

It sounds like the clutch teeth have given out on the clutch or the gear. It is pretty rare that it happens. Make sure you are shifting quickly into gear in the future so the teeth don't get more abuse than necessary. We do cover this under our warranty, so please call 813-925-7127 and ask for warranty. Please have the serial number handy. Also you can start the process online if you's like using this link: http://www.sterndrive.cc/warrantyclaimform.html

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
    X