Great Alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Alternative

Destroyed the lower unit (rock) on my 1983 Johnson 150 outboard. Was dismayed to find out that we were talking around 3K to have the lower rebuilt. Checked out many different options. still cheapest way out was going to be around $2700.00. Came across SEI on the internet and started checking them out. Was not certain they were even real at the beginning, discovered that they were and that they really did have a lower for my boat for under half the cost of what I had been quoted. Read reviews, mostly good news about SEI lowers and their support. Called the company, talked to a sales lady. She told me all that I needed, upper shaft, water pump and thrust washer to fit later model prop shaft. Placed the order, 3 days later, I have a new lower sitting in my driveway. Put everything together and figured I would pull a vacuum on the unit to check the seals. Could not pull a vacuum, leaking by somewhere. Put pressure on the unit, I heard a seal seat and it held pressure. Pulled a vacuum again, this time I pulled 15 inches on the unit and left it overnight, next morning still have 13 inches on the thing, I am happy.
    I only ran into a few problems. One was with the replacement thrust washer. It would not work with my current prop and hub kit. Was much too thick. Called SEI, tech told me that I must have a different prop set up from what was originally on the boat. He gave me the numbers for the hub kit that I would need. I ordered a new prop and hub kit online. Received the prop and hub kit. The only difference in my old prop and hub kit and the new one for use on the new lower was the thrust washer. I believe that the sales lady at SEI sent me the wrong thrust washer with my order. I have not contacted SEI about returning the wrong thrust washer to them for a refund as of yet. Another problem was the fluke which runs down either side of the unit was too close to the upper housing on the port side. Could not get the bolt into the hole because of lack of clearance. I took a 24 inch pipe wrench and bent the fluke down ever so slightly and slipped the bolt into the hole. Put the boat in the water 2 days ago, grandkids and grandpa are happy. I am sure that this lower will work just fine and if it doesn't, I feel certain that SEI will back it up with their warranty.
Working...
X