Se 116 wont engage forward gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Se 116 wont engage forward gear

I am swaping an Alpha I with brand new SE 116 stern drive. I followed all three of the install videos on youtube, to the T. I also replaced the gimble bearing and bellows, including the shift cable bellow. (I did not replace the shift cable, only remeved it to replace the bellow and re-installed the old one)
    The problem is that when I pushed in the lower shift linkage to set the proper 6 inches from eye to drumb, i noticed that it was a 1/2 short of the old position. So i checked to make sure it was locking in forward gear, as installation video said, and it was not. After alot of trouble shooting, including the removal and re-installation of the sterndrive to make sure that the shift cable was properly aligned with the roller for the shift mechanism, I attempted to shift it manually by turning the shifter arm on the sterndrive, and I cannot make the shifter arm perfectly striaght forward, or make it find forward gear in any position. I dont have any previous experience with boats. I am a mechanic doing a favor for my uncle. But this does not seem rite. It seems that the linkage is in good condition, routed properly, and assembled corectly. It will ratchet slightly, but not engage. I called a tech line in Florida, and he said that this is a commin problem with the 106, but not the 116, and that he thought it was in the shift cable. But the cable and linkage all look fine with no kinks or stretching. And the roller and guide inside the upper unit are aligned. Any ideas?

Good Afternoon,

This is Joey from SEI.

Please give us a call @ (813) 925-7127 and ask for Rob in Tech Support and he should be able to help you out with this.

Regards,

Comment

Working...
    X