Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KNOCKING NOISE

Default KNOCKING NOISE

JUST INSTALLED A NEW se106- MAKES A KNOCKING NOISE WHEN TURNED ALL THE WAY TO THE LEFT OR RIGHT- MAKES SAME NOSIE WHEN UNIT IS TRIMED ALL THE WAY DOWN- IF YOU MOVE: TRIM UP SLIGHLTY NOSIE GOES AWAY- STILL MAKES ON HARD LEFT OR RIGHT THOUGH

Default That "sounds" normal

Hi Rockhall,
    Those are the working noises from the U-joint. My older Alpha One did it and my new SE-106 does it too. I scared my brother-in-law when I was riding in the back of his SeaRay at no-wake speed and told him "dude, I can hear your U-joints!". He kinda panicked since he pays a mechanic for everything and he only knows two things for sure, it needs gas and oil. Anyway, it's due to those U-joints that you must never allow the engine to run or even attempt a start with the stern drive above it's up limit and into the trailering position "zone". Even U-joints have there limits and will lock up causing either the U-joint to break, or worse, strip the splines out of the coupler that bolts to the fly wheel.

Regards, Scott
    1988 21' Crestliner Cuddy Cabin
    GMC 5.0 200hp
    SE 106 Stern Drive

Default Knocking noise

I recently also purchased the SE106. I also have the same noise when turning all the way left or right. I wonder if it ever goes away after it fully breaks in. :roll:

Default noise

marc,
    That noise is the "nature of the beast" and will basically never go away. I geuss you could considder it music to your ears that the U-joints are in there doing there job.
    Take care,
    Scott
    GMC 5.0 200hp
    SE 106 Stern Drive

I have the same problem ever since installing the 106 early this summer. My mechanic has checked everything he can think of. Sterndrive tech hasn't come up with any resolution.

Why should it be the "nature of the beast" as "onplane" suggested?? Is it doing any harm by running it with this noise??

If you are concerned about the noise, please give me a call and we will write up a warranty on it and get it looked at.

Thanks,

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Well,
    If the noise is only present during hard left/right turns and at limits of stern trim, this would be normal. Now depending on the "type" of noise that is audible is what whould determine the concern level. Normal whoud typically be of a knocking/clankity sound and at times associated with the rhythm "felt". If there were to be such an abnormal amount of noise, was there a significant amount of vibration felt? The upper drive could be pulled to itentify if the U-joints could possibly be making contact. Any way, do you have the opportunity to ride in the back of a buddys boat as he performs the same maneuvers for a comparison of the noise?

Good Luck,
    Scott
    GMC 5.0 200hp
    SE 106 Stern Drive

I just had a dealer called that was chasing a similar noise. He had installed a new gimbal bearing at the same time as putting a new drive on. Turns out he did not seat the gimbal bearing all the way into the bore and that is what casued the knocking.

So If you installed a gimbal bearing you may want to check that. When you look at the bearing installed it should sit recessed into the bore about an 1/8 inch or so. If it is flush it is not in far enough.

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

You really have to admire the fact that the dealer bellied up and admitted improper installation. As far as gimbal bearings go, I normaly think of the constant growling from wear, and tend to forget that not everything is installed correctly. :(

Thanks,
    Scott
    GMC 5.0 200hp
    SE 106 Stern Drive

Default Excessive Knocking

Hello, Gentlemen,
    I installed a new SE106 last year ( still under warranty ) and I noticed the loud knocking immediately when docking after putting in. I did not replace my gimbal bearing because it was replaced in the last two years. I did not have this knocking prior to installing the new drive. I now believe that the unit is to blame completely because others have the same problem. I would like to initiate a warranty claim for this problem. Please contact me ( contact via email ). Thank you.