KNOCKING NOISE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KNOCKING NOISE

JUST INSTALLED A NEW se106- MAKES A KNOCKING NOISE WHEN TURNED ALL THE WAY TO THE LEFT OR RIGHT- MAKES SAME NOSIE WHEN UNIT IS TRIMED ALL THE WAY DOWN- IF YOU MOVE: TRIM UP SLIGHLTY NOSIE GOES AWAY- STILL MAKES ON HARD LEFT OR RIGHT THOUGH

That "sounds" normal

Hi Rockhall,
    Those are the working noises from the U-joint. My older Alpha One did it and my new SE-106 does it too. I scared my brother-in-law when I was riding in the back of his SeaRay at no-wake speed and told him "dude, I can hear your U-joints!". He kinda panicked since he pays a mechanic for everything and he only knows two things for sure, it needs gas and oil. Anyway, it's due to those U-joints that you must never allow the engine to run or even attempt a start with the stern drive above it's up limit and into the trailering position "zone". Even U-joints have there limits and will lock up causing either the U-joint to break, or worse, strip the splines out of the coupler that bolts to the fly wheel.

Regards, Scott
    1988 21' Crestliner Cuddy Cabin
    GMC 5.0 200hp
    SE 106 Stern Drive

Comment

Knocking noise

I recently also purchased the SE106. I also have the same noise when turning all the way left or right. I wonder if it ever goes away after it fully breaks in. :roll:

Comment

noise

marc,
        That noise is the "nature of the beast" and will basically never go away. I geuss you could considder it music to your ears that the U-joints are in there doing there job.
        Take care,
        Scott
        GMC 5.0 200hp
        SE 106 Stern Drive

Comment

I have the same problem ever since installing the 106 early this summer. My mechanic has checked everything he can think of. Sterndrive tech hasn't come up with any resolution.

Why should it be the "nature of the beast" as "onplane" suggested?? Is it doing any harm by running it with this noise??

Comment

If you are concerned about the noise, please give me a call and we will write up a warranty on it and get it looked at.

Thanks,

Tech Support
            Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Well,
              If the noise is only present during hard left/right turns and at limits of stern trim, this would be normal. Now depending on the "type" of noise that is audible is what whould determine the concern level. Normal whoud typically be of a knocking/clankity sound and at times associated with the rhythm "felt". If there were to be such an abnormal amount of noise, was there a significant amount of vibration felt? The upper drive could be pulled to itentify if the U-joints could possibly be making contact. Any way, do you have the opportunity to ride in the back of a buddys boat as he performs the same maneuvers for a comparison of the noise?

Good Luck,
              Scott
              GMC 5.0 200hp
              SE 106 Stern Drive

Comment

I just had a dealer called that was chasing a similar noise. He had installed a new gimbal bearing at the same time as putting a new drive on. Turns out he did not seat the gimbal bearing all the way into the bore and that is what casued the knocking.

So If you installed a gimbal bearing you may want to check that. When you look at the bearing installed it should sit recessed into the bore about an 1/8 inch or so. If it is flush it is not in far enough.

Tech Support
                Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

You really have to admire the fact that the dealer bellied up and admitted improper installation. As far as gimbal bearings go, I normaly think of the constant growling from wear, and tend to forget that not everything is installed correctly. :(

Thanks,
                  Scott
                  GMC 5.0 200hp
                  SE 106 Stern Drive

Comment

Excessive Knocking

Hello, Gentlemen,
                    I installed a new SE106 last year ( still under warranty ) and I noticed the loud knocking immediately when docking after putting in. I did not replace my gimbal bearing because it was replaced in the last two years. I did not have this knocking prior to installing the new drive. I now believe that the unit is to blame completely because others have the same problem. I would like to initiate a warranty claim for this problem. Please contact me ( contact via email ). Thank you.

Comment

Please send an Email to warranty@sterndrive.cc with your purchase and shipping info and we will email you back with the details.

Thanks,

Tech Support

Comment

Knocking noise

The noise that you hear {clicking when turning sharp} is the incorrect thickness of the c-clips on the u-joints. Sei will send the proper replacemnts if you are still under warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support View Post
                          Please send an Email to warranty@sterndrive.cc with your purchase and shipping info and we will email you back with the details.

Thanks,

Tech Support
                          Shouldn't that be warranty@sterndrive.cc?
                          Last edited by Technical Support; 05-12-2007, 08:11 PM. Reason: Yes, thanks for catching that.

Comment

My SE106 is out of warranty, this Summer '08 will be the third year of use.
                            First thought, I believe that I didn't do wrong by purchasing the SE106, but I did have some problems from the get-go.
                            I am a amateur boat mechanic, installed the SE106 sterndrive without replacing the gimbal bearing. In the driveway with the water ears on and plenty of pressure from the hose, the stern sounded fine in all positions, left/right, forward, neutral and reverse. Did all my lubing/eng. tune-up, ready for my slip, droped it in. Next day turn it on to warm up/disconnect all lines to shove off, noticed eng temp rising. Thats the end of that cruise, checked eng water pump, replace thermostat, hoses you name it. Duh who would think your newly installed stern drive would have a dry rotted impeller.
                            Instead of bringing it home to change, had the repair shop at the marina do it for a couple hundred. Was told don't use aftermarket junk,as in the SE106, use OEM, my orginal had in for three year still was and looked good. Too bad I had leakage and blew out my alpha's gears, I'd still be running it, Oh well. The rest of the summer with the SE106 was great.
                            The second year after a few runs there was that clicking sound as everyone here is describing, full left or right, but not in down straight position, but in the trailer or full up position. I read the book, said it might be the U-joints, 2 yrs. ya got to be kidding.
                            NOW with all this blowing of steam on a Saturday and only having a few..... Come on this is training, ya got to get yourself in shape for the long Party nights on the dock.
                            My shop repair man, 29 yrs exp., pulled off the stern , with no problems to the u-joints. He did say with some Alphas that had excessive play in the top gears would make that noise. With using the proper gauging tools those gears should read .025. My drive shaft/gear assembly read .028, .003 to much, and my U-joint/drive gear and bearing assembly read .034 only .009 to much.
                            WHAT THE! China messed with our imported dog food they sold us, heard some imported meds are not what there supposed to be. Ya don't think they're trying to screw with us boaters do ya?
                            End of the ranting,. repair shop brought everything into specs... no noise....So far!
                            Springs here, summer is there, hope it warms up soon in between.
                            To all GOOD BOATING!
                            Last edited by maddog; 03-22-2008, 05:32 PM.

Comment

You should never run your drive when in the full up (trailering) position. This puts the u-joints in a bind and will destroy them.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
                              X