KNOCKING NOISE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr. Tech.

Your right,I told my storry wrong. The stern was checked per the Clymer Merc Shop manual 1986-94 pg.409. Noise during turning or trimming maneuvers. Which I did also in my driveway

Comment

knocking noise

Hi my name is frank and I am a marine teck if you have a knocking noise you mite wont to check the gimbal bearing it will make the same kinda noise. `

Comment

Was a fix or solution ever found for this? I just installed an se106 warranty replacement drive thats been sitting on shelf for 4 years since it was shipped back from sei. It is making this same knocking noise. I replaced the gimbal just to make sure it wasn't that.

Comment

106 knocking when turning and fully lowered

I just bought and installed a 106 short yoke on my 76 Glassmaster (straight 6). As stated here by others, mine clatters and vibrates when fully lowered and turning. Mechanic installed a new gimbal bearing and insist it's fully seated. Anyone find resolution to the issue? Anyone's u joints unravel and explode? I'm now $2,000 deep into a $3,000 boat and have two weeks vacation up north with a lot of family coming up. Any help, tips or suggestions is appreciated. Thanks,
          Ryan

Comment

Knock at full turn

I've got the same "knock" at near to full turn at normal trim on a newly installed complete 106 upper and lower. The old drive (which was still good) never even hinted at making any noise at full turn. Sounds pretty bad as I get close to full turn - if turned all the way, it's loud and I can feel the "klunking" in the floor. It makes docking uncomfortable not being able to turn hard (don't like the sound or feel of the noise...sounds like I'm hurting it). I removed the drive after about 5 hours of "break-in" and drained the oil - looked OK, but there was a bit of metal shavings on the magnet of the drain plug. Didn't see anything obvious on the U-joints, checked the gimbal bearing - turns smooth and is tight. Installed the drive and launched the boat and it still makes the noise. Tried greasing the drive coupler, still no change. The drive has about 10 hours on it now and it seems that the knock is getting progressively worse. I really hate to have to pull the boat and the drive again, when I did the 1st time, I found nothing.

Comment

Working...
            X