Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KNOCKING NOISE

Please send an Email to warranty@sterndrive.cc with your purchase and shipping info and we will email you back with the details.

Thanks,

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Default Knocking noise

The noise that you hear {clicking when turning sharp} is the incorrect thickness of the c-clips on the u-joints. Sei will send the proper replacemnts if you are still under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Technical Support View Post
    Please send an Email to warranty@sterndrive.cc with your purchase and shipping info and we will email you back with the details.

Thanks,

Tech Support
    Shouldn't that be warranty@sterndrive.cc?
    Last edited by Technical Support; 05-12-2007 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Yes, thanks for catching that.

My SE106 is out of warranty, this Summer '08 will be the third year of use.
    First thought, I believe that I didn't do wrong by purchasing the SE106, but I did have some problems from the get-go.
    I am a amateur boat mechanic, installed the SE106 sterndrive without replacing the gimbal bearing. In the driveway with the water ears on and plenty of pressure from the hose, the stern sounded fine in all positions, left/right, forward, neutral and reverse. Did all my lubing/eng. tune-up, ready for my slip, droped it in. Next day turn it on to warm up/disconnect all lines to shove off, noticed eng temp rising. Thats the end of that cruise, checked eng water pump, replace thermostat, hoses you name it. Duh who would think your newly installed stern drive would have a dry rotted impeller.
    Instead of bringing it home to change, had the repair shop at the marina do it for a couple hundred. Was told don't use aftermarket junk,as in the SE106, use OEM, my orginal had in for three year still was and looked good. Too bad I had leakage and blew out my alpha's gears, I'd still be running it, Oh well. The rest of the summer with the SE106 was great.
    The second year after a few runs there was that clicking sound as everyone here is describing, full left or right, but not in down straight position, but in the trailer or full up position. I read the book, said it might be the U-joints, 2 yrs. ya got to be kidding.
    NOW with all this blowing of steam on a Saturday and only having a few..... Come on this is training, ya got to get yourself in shape for the long Party nights on the dock.
    My shop repair man, 29 yrs exp., pulled off the stern , with no problems to the u-joints. He did say with some Alphas that had excessive play in the top gears would make that noise. With using the proper gauging tools those gears should read .025. My drive shaft/gear assembly read .028, .003 to much, and my U-joint/drive gear and bearing assembly read .034 only .009 to much.
    WHAT THE! China messed with our imported dog food they sold us, heard some imported meds are not what there supposed to be. Ya don't think they're trying to screw with us boaters do ya?
    End of the ranting,. repair shop brought everything into specs... no noise....So far!
    Springs here, summer is there, hope it warms up soon in between.
    To all GOOD BOATING!
    Last edited by maddog; 03-22-2008 at 05:32 PM.

You should never run your drive when in the full up (trailering) position. This puts the u-joints in a bind and will destroy them.

Tech Support

Mr. Tech.

Your right,I told my storry wrong. The stern was checked per the Clymer Merc Shop manual 1986-94 pg.409. Noise during turning or trimming maneuvers. Which I did also in my driveway

Default knocking noise

Hi my name is frank and I am a marine teck if you have a knocking noise you mite wont to check the gimbal bearing it will make the same kinda noise. `

Was a fix or solution ever found for this? I just installed an se106 warranty replacement drive thats been sitting on shelf for 4 years since it was shipped back from sei. It is making this same knocking noise. I replaced the gimbal just to make sure it wasn't that.

Default 106 knocking when turning and fully lowered

I just bought and installed a 106 short yoke on my 76 Glassmaster (straight 6). As stated here by others, mine clatters and vibrates when fully lowered and turning. Mechanic installed a new gimbal bearing and insist it's fully seated. Anyone find resolution to the issue? Anyone's u joints unravel and explode? I'm now $2,000 deep into a $3,000 boat and have two weeks vacation up north with a lot of family coming up. Any help, tips or suggestions is appreciated. Thanks,
    Ryan

Default Knock at full turn

I've got the same "knock" at near to full turn at normal trim on a newly installed complete 106 upper and lower. The old drive (which was still good) never even hinted at making any noise at full turn. Sounds pretty bad as I get close to full turn - if turned all the way, it's loud and I can feel the "klunking" in the floor. It makes docking uncomfortable not being able to turn hard (don't like the sound or feel of the noise...sounds like I'm hurting it). I removed the drive after about 5 hours of "break-in" and drained the oil - looked OK, but there was a bit of metal shavings on the magnet of the drain plug. Didn't see anything obvious on the U-joints, checked the gimbal bearing - turns smooth and is tight. Installed the drive and launched the boat and it still makes the noise. Tried greasing the drive coupler, still no change. The drive has about 10 hours on it now and it seems that the knock is getting progressively worse. I really hate to have to pull the boat and the drive again, when I did the 1st time, I found nothing.