Thread: lower unit vs complete drive

Default lower unit vs complete drive

Hi, looking for some advice. Bought a searay 230 a month ago with a 4.3 mercruiser. Was told it overheated and needed an impeller. Removed the lower unit and found the flapper vales( know I need to replace those) and the water pump housing screws on really tight, rounded one head trying to remove. No water in oil when I drained it. Thoughts on replacing just the lower vs the entire drive. Funds are somewhat limited.
    Thanks

I would recommend doing a pressure test and removing the top cover and inspecting the gears in the upper.

If everything looks good and there wasn't any water in the oil you should be okay with replacing just the lower.

Regards,

Tech Support