Propellor for SE116

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propellor for SE116

I just purchased a 2005 JC Tritoon 266 with a 5.0 MPI 260 HP Mercruiser that has the SE116 sterndrive. It has a stainless steel propellor on it. A Vengeance 48-16316 19. I’m concerned as a father area where my slip is has a lot of rocks and I’ve heard with a stainless steel prop hitting a rock can damage the outdrive. Whereas with an aluminum prop the prop will be damaged but may save the outdrive from damage. Is this true? If so, do you know what gear ratio my outdrive is? The boat is in the water so getting numbers off it would be difficult. Also, do you have an equivalent aluminum prop you would recommend? Do you normally stay with the same pitch going from stainless steel to aluminum? Thank you for your help.

I’ve heard with a stainless steel prop hitting a rock can damage the outdrive. Whereas with an aluminum prop the prop will be damaged but may save the outdrive from damage. Is this true?

Yes this is true.

do you know what gear ratio my outdrive is?

We would need the upper unit serial number that is located on the inside on a red tag or a tooth count off the 2 gears in the upper to know what gear ratio you have.

Also, do you have an equivalent aluminum prop you would recommend? Do you normally stay with the same pitch going from stainless steel to aluminum?

We typically don't give out recommendations for props as we are not prop experts. My recommendation would be to go to a local prop shop who specialize in that field. We sell a full line of Solas propellers so once you know the pitch and diameter you are looking for we can check to see if we have it in stock.

Comment

Thank you for the feedback. When you say the serial number located on the upper unit on the inside on a red tag. Do you mean the side of the drive facing the boat or is it actually inside the case? Since it’s in the water I’m trying to figure out if I can go under water to see it. Thanks

Comment

The serial number is located inside the case so you have to take the boat out of the water and separate the units to see the red tag.

Comment

Working...
        X