Check oil Level in 116

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check oil Level in 116

I just recieved a se116 and I am installing the unit and noticed there is no fluid check level on the top of the unit like the unit Im replacing. How will I check the fluid level without a dipstick of somesort? Another problem is my ground washer on the right side of the unit that is held in by a philips screw, I cannot remove mine and was wondering if you have the dimmensions of the screw so that I can replace it. Another problem is my speedo cable has a different connector than your unit, I saw a few posts about a replacement part, is that just the tip that is zip tied onto the housing that needs replacing or the part on the actually drive? It seems these drives are quiet a bit different than my orginal, Im a little weary of bolting this thing on there without being able to check the fluid level.

thanks for the help

Sir,

The oil level is checked by removing the top plug on the side of the upper while the drive is as level as possible. If the oil level is right at the hole, then the level is fine. If it is below the hole then you need to top it off.

You don't say what year your boat is, but if you have the gear lube monitor bottle on the engine you don't need to check the oil, you just keep an eye on the bottle. Of course you do need to initially fill the drive and the reservoir.

As for the grounding washer, you don't need to install that. If you do want to install it you need to use a 1/4-20 self tapping screw or actually tap the hole with a 1/4-20 tap and use a normal screw.

The speedometer pick up has gone through a few changes since Mercury has been making the Gen II drive. We are using the latest method, as does Mercury. If you look at the other post about the speedometer you will see a part number to purchase from a Mercury dealer. It is a quick coupler that adapts from the new style nipple that is on the drive to your hose that is on the boat.

If you need anything else let me know,

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

I do not have the resovoir on my boat, thats why I was curious. Since I don't have the resovoir I will have to check the oil level throught the "vent hole" thats what I gathered from your reply. I have read somewhere that if you add oil through the vent hole of the outdrive it will burn up the unit, is this not true with your drive? And since I don't have the bottle will I have to plug up some sort of whole that would go to the resovior bottle if I had one?

As for the screw and the ground washer, the whole goes all the way inside the outdrive, If I don't put something there then that would be a gapping hole in the unit, wouldn't that be a problem?

Thank you

Terry

Comment

You should not fill the outdrive from the top vent hole. The way the oil get between the upper and lower is through a very small hole at the mounting surface. If you were to fill it from the top the oil will never make it down the hole, or at least not for quite awhile, so you will end up with a large air pocket in the lower half.

To check the oil you need to remove the vent plug with the drive level. The oil level should be right at the bottom of the hole. Typically a very smal amount will come out when you check it.

Now if you check the oil level, and it is only a 1/4 inch below the vent plug, you could top it off from the vent plug. At that point the lower half and the passage in the upper case are full of oil, so there is no chance of an air pocket being in there. Most people recommend topping off from the bottom as well, and there is certainly nothing wrong with doing it that way. It will make sure there is no problem.

As far as your boat not having the reservoir, you just need to make sure that the bell housing hole is plugged off. There is normally a pipe plug in the back side of it. But just to be safe you could fill the hole with 5200 or silicone and then you won't have any problems.

The hole for the grounding plate will not cause any problem. Some water will get in there, but it will not be enogh to do any damage from freezing. Plus when you trim it down half of the water will come back out anyway.

Tech Support
        Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Working...
        X