overheating???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overheating???

I had a few questions I wanted answered before I took the new outdrive out for the first time but, no one answered your phone all day. So I decided I would give it a try anyway. When I took it out it was rather noisy the whole time especially in turns or when it was trimmed up, seem to perform ok, I put a total of 45min to an hour on the outdrive. As I was testing it I noticed when I accecelatered up my engine would slowly start overheating at idle it would set around 160, and as I got around 2800 RPM it would creep all the way to 200, so I backed off and was going to park it when I noticed it dropped as soon as I decelarate. I played with this for about fifteen minutes and everytime the same thing. In another post I made I had a question about water coming out the back of the drive by the speedo cable and the shifter, just above these it looks like after further observation, I can't pen point the spot because its so tight in there. I checked the oil after running it on the muffs an it didn't appear like there was any water in the oil, so I assume I have a good seal around the drive. Is it my impeller like others have stated on this forum, this seems to be a common problem (overheating), is there something I overlooked or forgot to do????

Puzzled
    please help as soon as possible would like to test it out again tommorow.

Terry

The gears do need to break in, so i would expect some whining for the first 10 hours or so. As far as the temperature is concerned, in your last post i mentioned about checking the water pipe connections. That would be a good thing to check in this case also. It shouldn't be the impeller, but if you want give me a call and we can get you out another one just to make sure.

Thanks,

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

I'm going to give this another shot today, but I won't be able to test it until this weekend. I want to make sure I do everything right. When you assemble the to halfs, I assembled it according to the directions on your sight and supplemented with the OEM, since you didn't have any torque specs. I put the two plastic guides on lower the white tappering one first and then the black and slide it together, then turned the ujoint and slide the unit the rest of the way in. Is there anyway to make sure the water tube gets seatted for sure? I did notice a small slit in the white tube slide. I filled with oil and greesed everything the OEM manual says to greese with marine grease and bolted it up. Now, the company I bought the unit said I should use spline grease on all the splines, that is where the knocking could be coming from. The manual says marine grease, should I try and find spline grease? I haven't ever heard of that.

Thanks for the help?

Terry

Comment

The black pieve with the orings in it should go onto the water pump first. The bottom o-ring actually seals against the nipple on the water pump housing. Then the white plastic piece sets into the black piece to help guide the water tube into the right spot.

They do make a specific spline grease. I believe and Boat dealer should be able to get it for you. I also think any grease should be fine. Did you install a new gimbal bearing with the new drive? It is possible to not install the bearing all the way and get noises because of that.

Thanks,

Tech Support
        Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Justin,

I spoke with you earlier about the overheating. I pulled the impeller out like you said and it did have a number of 47 so I should be good, and the bolts were tight. I purchased a new gasket kit cleaned all the surfaces and made for sure the tube was seated well. I got it all back together fired it up and I ran it for a little bit, It sounded a little better than before, not as noisy, maybe oil change not sure. I checked the back where I told you the water was coming from and it was still coming at just a small splash like before, but I let the boat warm up and its exhaust water it was warm… Don’t know if that tells you anything. Anyway Its pretty much same as before, one thing though the impeller still looked new as it should but it was extremely tight in the housing, really difficult to get on, this maybe normal, not sure. Other than that it went back together like It did the first time. I checked the bellows and there was no water or oil, the outdrive oil was clean, no water. I will test it out again Saturday unless something I stated here sounds wrong, and hopefully I just didn’t get that tube on, other than that I don’t know what it could be, my boat did not overheat before this.

Terry

Comment

I saw your email before I saw the post, so please check your mail for the response.

Tech Support

Comment

OK, so I got it all back together and took it out sunday, today. I ran it for a total of three hours, varying the rpms, alot of start and stops. It ran great. Sounded real good, alot smoother than last time, it ran like a champ. BUT!!!! When I got home and hooked it up to the muffs and started flushing it out I noticed a little trickle of water coming from the upper unit cap, the piece on the top of the upper outdrive. I noticed it as it was running, I wiped away the water to make sure and sure enough a little build up of water right by the gasket. What should I do, replace the gasket? Will I have to change the oil again, will any water get into the drive? What about other gaskets, Im kind of scared if this ones leaking will others leak? Please help

Terry

Comment

That is no problem. The water cavity has a rubber plug at the top. The water is just seeping past it a little bit. If it is a small amount of water, don't worry about it. If you want you can pull the top cover off and put some silicone around the rubber plug.

The oil cavity is sealed with an o-ring, so water cannot get into it.

Hopefully I explained it well enough, if not give me a call and I'll try to do better on the phone.

Tech Support

Comment

sounds good, i'll leave it be and put about another 6 hours on it and change the fluid. But today it ran and sounded like a champ, quieter than my mercruiser use to be.

Thanks again

Terry

Comment

Working...
                  X