Gear oil, oil filter, power tilt & trim fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear oil, oil filter, power tilt & trim fluid

I live in Cape Town South Africa and just bought a 1990 Glastron Futura 185 with a Mercruiser (GM) 4.3l V6 motor with 175 HP and Alpha 1 stern drive.
    Here in Cape Town outboards are the norm and I even called the local Mercury dealer without much success.

I need the following information please:

What type of oil do I use for the power tilt and trim (it is white so I imagine it's not the ATF that they usually use on outboards and cars)? Is it the same as the powerstearing fluid that they use on some newer cars like Jeep, Honda and Audi?

What oilfilter can I use, as Mercury don't have a line of inboard motors here, I would like to know if I could use an automotive GUD filter?

Can I use the Mercury outboard gear oil for the Alpha 1 stern drive?

For the power tilt and trim the recommended fluid is Quicksilver power trim and steering fluid #92-90100A12. If unavailable use 10W-30 or 10W-40 motor oil. I'm not aware of any white fluid, you need to make sure that you don't have any leaks letting water in and turning the oil a milky white.For the outdrive the recommended fluid is Quicksilver high performance gear lube #92-816026A1. I think the outboard gear lube would work . As for your oil filter on the motor an automotive filter will work fine.

Tech Support

Comment

I can't find quicksilver 92-90100A12 for sale online.

Is Quicksilver Power trim fluid 710-92-858075Q01 right or wrong?
      http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?ID=3042244
      Island

Comment

That should be fine. It is probably a quicksilver # rather than a Mercury number.

I would probaly just use 10W30, or even ATF should work if your topping off and the fluid is a pink color.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
        X