Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prop edge clearance to cavetation plate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop edge clearance to cavetation plate?

I bought a boat with a SEI outdrive.
    The current prop is a 14" 3 blade 19 pitch prop.
    I need to reprop -- the prop shop was unfamiliar with SEI but when I said "it's a direct replacement for an Alpha I" he gave me a 15" 17 pitch.

Sadly; the clearnace made me nervous (a wire coat-hanger could not pass thru the clearance) so I dind't use the demo prop.

when I got back; they told me that the less clearance the better -- this goes against every fiber of my being.

What prop diameter does SEI recomment fro their 116 prop?

Thank you
    Cameron

Our clearance should be the same as the OEM so therefore any prop designed for the OEM will work on ours. As far as the clearance goes, are you talking about to the cavitation plate, or to the trim tab? If you have the trim tab with the fin on it you can puchase a flat one from most Marine stores and that will solve the problem.

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support View Post
      Our clearance should be the same as the OEM so therefore any prop designed for the OEM will work on ours.
      Then I have a huge problem.... AlphaI should take a 16" prop; but a 15" prop leaves less than 3mm clearance between the prop edge and the plate (not the zinc/trim tab)

Comment

If you measure from the centerline of the propshaft to the cavitation plate you should see that is is just over 8 inches. That means it will have clearance for a 16 inch prop. Double check your measurement and see if you agree. Mabe your prop is not marked correctly?

Tech Support
        Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support View Post
          If you measure from the centerline of the propshaft to the cavitation plate you should see that is is just over 8 inches. That means it will have clearance for a 16 inch prop. Double check your measurement and see if you agree. Mabe your prop is not marked correctly?

Tech Support

I'll go down to the marina to check it -- it was a 15" Mirage SS 3 blade prop that was fitted. it left sub 3mm clearance.

if the 3mm clearance is fine, then I don't care -- I just want to avoid damage to the prop & outdrive.

Comment

Hi,
            I have the SE116 drive and I run a STAINLESS STEEL 22 pitch four blade BRAVO ONE PROP WITH NO PROBLEMS the prop is 15 1/4 in size. plus I have a drive shower installed too! the se116 should be able to run the 16 p x 16 dia prop max. look into running a 4 blade the boat will run much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockfish71 View Post
              Hi,
              I have the SE116 drive and I run a STAINLESS STEEL 22 pitch four blade BRAVO ONE PROP WITH NO PROBLEMS the prop is 15 1/4 in size. plus I have a drive shower installed too! the se116 should be able to run the 16 p x 16 dia prop max. look into running a 4 blade the boat will run much better.

Sadly -- my spacing is so much less than that with a 14"

Comment

What prop are you trying to run you should be able to run any mirage propeller do you have a part number on the prop are you sure you don't have a propller for a bravo two drive because they are bigger and will not clear. The bravo that I'm running is 15 1/4 dia and 22 pitch some of the mirage propllers are 15 3/4 dia but still should fit with about a 1/4 inch of clearance left.

Comment

Working...
                X