shift cut-out switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shift cut-out switch

I just bought your complete SE106 and at the same time I installed a new lower shift cable.

I have verified the cable adjustment several times and it is right on the money in terms if shifting the drive. However my issue lies with how easy the new cable shifts or how easy the drive itself shifts. This new cable has absolutely no tension or drag on it when shifting to kick in the cut out switch. I can disconnect the lower cable at the engine and easily shift the drive with one hand and it doesn't even try to move the cut out switch. I can also manually push the cut out bracket and stall the engne so I know it's working. Just not enough pressure to activate it.

Can you tell me what I can do to add tension to the lower cable so it activates the cut out. At the present time I have to gently pull the throttle back, past neutral a tad to disengage forward, and the same to disengage reverse.

Jesse
    19' 1987 Sea Ray Sorrento
    4.3 liter HO
    Alpha 1, Gen 1 1.84

switch

If your testing on land ,it wont work. Theres no load on the prop.

Comment

I know that, it doesn't work on land or sea. Not enough tension on cable to activate cut out
      4.3 liter HO
      Alpha 1, Gen 1 1.84

Comment

I don't think it is possible for the shift cable to move too easily. The tension that trips the switch comes from the lower unit as you are shifting out of gear. It only works under load as previously stated, and only when coming out of gear, not going in.

Typically if the shift cutout switch is not being engaged it will be very difficult to shift out of gear.

Check the pivot point on your shift bracket to be certain it moves freely.

Email tech@sterndrive.cc for a document on adjusting the shift cable and cutout switch.

Tech Support
        Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support View Post
          I don't think it is possible for the shift cable to move too easily. The tension that trips the switch comes from the lower unit as you are shifting out of gear. It only works under load as previously stated, and only when coming out of gear, not going in.

Typically if the shift cutout switch is not being engaged it will be very difficult to shift out of gear.

Check the pivot point on your shift bracket to be certain it moves freely.

Email tech@sterndrive.cc for a document on adjusting the shift cable and cutout switch.

Tech Support
          I didn't think so either but I can tell you it moves "very" easily. The cut out switch also moves with little effort but more effort then the lower cable is giving it.

I tried it several times last saturday, both in reverse and forward and there is little to no effort to shift it in and out of either gear but as I said, it's doing it with out activating the cut out.

I was also not sure if it is supposed to slightly pass neutral to shift it out of gear and into neutral.

Thanks
          Jesse
          4.3 liter HO
          Alpha 1, Gen 1 1.84

Comment

Working...
          X