Shaft End play ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaft End play ?

I have a question about my SE106 . Its about two years old . I currently have the drive split to replace the water pump assembly for basic maintenance . When turning the drive shaft to install the water pump impeller i noticed a LOT of play side to side and thought that it seems to be way to much . Is it normal to have a lot of play like this when the drive is split? I'm not having any problems with it at all but thought this was bad. well actually i have one problem. The finish of the drive just keeps pealing off down to bare aluminum but im dealing with it. Should i be worrying about this play side to side in the drive shaft when apart? I can see a bearing moving side to side with the shaft.

The side to side play is normal. The gears are designed in such a way that the drive shaft will try tu go straight up under a load. If you pull up on the driveshaft you can simulate a load and you will see that there is no longer any side to side play.

Thanks,

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Wow that was fast . Yes i did notice that if i pull up on the shaft the play is gone.. I just wanted to make sure before i put it back together. Thanks for the fast help.

Comment

Working...
      X