1992 Alpha One Gen II 4.3L V6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 Alpha One Gen II 4.3L V6

I have a '92 Forester Rio with a 4.3L V6 engine (175 HP?), Alpha One, Gen II sterndrive. I need a replacement and would like to know which gear ratio I have. I believe the upper gear ratio is 17 input gear, 19 output gear (1.84 ratio?). I have no idea what the lower gear ratio would be. The sterndrive currently on this boat is a Mercury Repower and the serial number is unreadable.

Also, can you ship to Canada? Specifically can you ship to Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada? If so, would it be possible to estimate shipping costs? Thanks for reading.

The ratio you would need for the upper is the 1.81 ratio. The lower units are all a standard ratio for your application. Send an email to sales@sterndrive.cc with your complete shipping address including postal code and someone will email you with the freight charges.

Tech Support

Comment

Thanks for the quick response! I got my shipping estimates next day too.

I have a further question. I know you have suggested a ratio of 1.81 however the upper gear on my current leg is a 17 tooth and 19 tooth, which I understand to be 1.84 ratio. How will this new 1.81 ratio affect my performance?

Comment

You will not notice any performance change. For a good explanation of the ratio difference go to the technical articles section here in the forums. Click on gear ratio changes.

Tech Support

Comment

Wow I love this speedy response time!! Thanks for the info, I should have caught that page earlier. I'll be calling your sales desk shortly to place my order.

Again, thanks for all the clarification!

Comment

Alright, the new drive (SE116) has arrived and looks great. Shipping was fast! The first part of the installation is complete without issue (putting the 2 halves together). However I have run into an issue with the opening in the bell housing for the remote oil reservoir. I do not have a oil reservoir in my boat, but there is an opening for one in the upper housing as well as on the top half of the stern-drive. My old stern drive had a poppet valve inserted in this opening that would have prevented oil from traveling into this channel in the housing. It appears that this oil channel in the housing is a blank and is not exposed to the water or to the engine compartment.
            My question is, do I need to install a poppet valve in the SE116 drive or can I leave this oil passage open (since it doesn't go anywhere I suspect the worst that could happen is oil will sit in it). Or, is there another way to block this opening off?

Comment

You can leave the passage open if it is blocked off in the bell housing. The patent on the check valve system has recently expired and you can install your old check valve in our unit if you like. You will first have to remove the sleeve we installed in the oil passage hole. Simply use as large a flat blade screw driver as will fit into the hole, and by cocking it you can drag the sleeve out. With the sleeve removed you can install the spring, ball and seal.

Tech Support

Comment

Thanks. 2 more questions:

1) does the sleeve currently installed on the SE116 drive block oil passage back into the bell housing?

2) if I am unable to remove the check valve from the old leg, is there a Merc part number I could use to locate a new one?

Thanks again!

Comment

Aha! iboats.com seems to think it would be MERCURY MARINE Part# 24-17997A1.
                  Time to make a few phone calls...

Comment

The sleeve does not block off the oil flow into the bell housing. The check valve assembly for the upper unit is a Mercury part number 17997A1.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
                    X