Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SE116 Clicking Noises when in gear

Hello,

I recently installed my SE116 lower unit, and noticed a startlingly loud "clicking" or "ticking" noise when the unit is placed in gear.

The install went smoothly, took the lube fine, everything bolted up nice and aligned properly, but when I put the thing into gear (either forward or reverse) it makes a bad-sounding cyclic clicking noise. The noise doesn't sound healthy at all.

Any ideas?

When I get a chance I am going to look in the gear oil for shavings. ;)

Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Beemer,

I can't think of anything in particular to look for. If it did it in neutral I would say the shift adjustment is off.

Have you had the boat in the water with the new unit? I would suggest putting a little bit of time on it and see if it changes.

Let us know if you need more assistance.

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

in the water

I haven't put it in the water yet. I did a test run on dry land just with the muffs hooked up to the hose.

I was afraid to put it in the water in case something might be out of spec and I didn't want it to heat up and ruin the integrity of the seals or kill a bearing or something.

I will do some more inspection and see if I can locate the origin of the sound with certainty.

Thanks for your quick response.

Comment

one more thing..

When troubleshooting, I found that the noise only occurs with a prop on.

It doesn't make the clicking if I remove the prop, then put it in gear.

I bought a brand new prop and bushing set because there was a little slack in the old one, but even with a brand new prop and bushing it still makes the same noise.

Should I ignore it and keep my fingers crossed that it goes away?

Comment

yes, I would say try it and see what happens. If you have any problems let us know.

Tech Support
          Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Working...
          X