Universals have ticking noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Universals have ticking noise

I have an SE106 upper unit that was installed last year and I am getting a ticking noise when I turn. When I am on plane, I do not turn the wheel that much, and there is no ticking noise. I get the ticking when I am at a slow speed and maneuvering. I only have to turn either way approximately 15 to 20 degrees to get the noise. I pulled the upper unit and the universals look brand new and there is no slop or play at all in them. I had my boat mechanic check it out and he found no problem with the universal joints. He is puzzled by the noise. Do you have any ideas on how I can better diagnose this?
    Last edited by Deba; 07-29-2008, 12:10 PM.

It sounds like the problem is in the u-joints. Carefully inspect them for side to side play in the cups. A much more remote possibility is the gimbal bearing being worn or the hinge pins having play.

Tech Support

Comment

I notice from your specs there are 2 different length yokes. If I had the shorter one by mistake, would that cause or contribute to the noise?

Comment

The short input shaft length would not cause an intermittent noise. It would result in an early coupler failure.

Tech Support

Comment

Over the weekend, I was finally able to check out my universals for "side-to-side" play in the cups. Indeed, I was able to detect some play from side to side. I tapped on the cups from either side until the play was gone and then reassembled the out drive. Amazingly, that got rid of the ticking noise. Do you think these cups will stay tight, or will I have to tap them in again? Is there a way to put a shim or something in with the locking "c" ring to keep them tight? Thank you very much for your excellent diagnosis.

Comment

More than likely the cups will become loose again. You should contact our warranty department at 1-813-925-7127 M-F between 8AM & 5PM Eastern time.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
            X