Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise

I have an Alpha replacement drive (Se-106) with 3 hrs of slow speed time on it. It sounds almost like a like diameter drill drilling through thick steel plate. Is that normal? I have used the recommended lubricant, and run the drive at 500 RPM (while fishing) and 1000 RPM while cruising. When I increase above 1000 RPM as suggested, it sounds even rougher.

Our drives are noisy during the break in period as we do not lap or polish the gear faces. The noise should lessen as you approach the end of the break in.

Tech Support

Comment

Mis-directed by SEI Support

As I stated earlier, the drive sounded like a large diameter drill drilling through thick plate. If I had followed my first instinct, to investigate further rather than continue the brek-in operation of the unit like you suggested, I would have found that the prop was not mounted properly. The back bushing was missing and the prop chewed it's skirt off, and damaged the NEW lower unit. Now I have a new drive that may or may not be servicable!

Comment

I apologize for overlooking the possibility of an error during installation. If the prop hub still has some of the housing covering it when installed (with the thrust washer) you will be OK. If not you will need to contact our warranty department at 813-925-7127 M-F between 8AM and 5PM. Please have the serial number from the lower unit available. They can arrange to have you send the unit in for repair. Any drive purchased after September 18th 2006 is covered by a 3 year fault free warranty. The installation error would be covered by the warranty.

Tech Support

Comment

Thanks

unfortunately there is a space between the prop and the housing. If you cover this as you say, you just hired yourself a salesman in the NE area!:)

Comment

Contact our warranty department and they will get you taken care of.

Tech Support

Comment

Thanks again

Because of ignorance on my part, I trashed the lower unit housing on my new drive. I returned it and you folks fixed it fo no charge. That's unheard of! I recieved the replacement this week and I will install it today. Unfortunately the season is over here so I will have to wait till next spring to give it a go, bummer. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
              X