noisy 116 only @1000rpm in fwd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noisy 116 only @1000rpm in fwd

i just put boat in water and i have about 6 hours on drive and it makes a whine like the old drive had but only in foward at 900 to 1300 rpm . it goes away at dead idle or over 1300rpm and as soon as you shift into neutral.?i am gonna just wait until break in is over! otherwise everything went smooth from 3 day shipping to installing unit!:D

Our drives are a little noisy until you complete the break in as we do not lap our gears. We allow the gears to lap themselves as a set during break in.

Tech Support

Comment

i know about the breakin noise its not that its a high pitch noise that goes away when the drive doesent have a load on it like between waves! i put the final 10th hour on drive today it is quiet shifts excelent i cant say anything bad but the noise is driving me crazy could it be a u joint noise ? the only thing i did was change drive and shift cable.it only makes noise around 1000 rpm +-200rpm. i am gonna have it hauled and change lube should i pull drive and check u joints ? ill be back out of the water for winter by mid december.

Comment

U-joint noise is generally a knocking sound so I don't think that is the problem. If your gimbal bearing is old you can check it to make sure that is not the source of the noise.

Tech Support

Comment

i was a carrer marine mechanic i sepeialized in merc inboards .i just installed drive and the gimbal bearing is fine . i have never heard this type of noise so i assume its from the drive because thats the only thing i changed . i have a month beore i haul out again so i will let you know if i find something then thanks for the input.

Comment

Just curious -- did you solve this this spring?
            Island

Comment

i have same boat and i have over 30 hours on drive noise will go away around 20 hours i found . drive works great just cant seem to get shift cable right .

Comment

island wy u up so early?

Comment

Paying for parts, and trying to make some time during the day to work on the boat!
                  Island

Comment

i hear ya island .. the pump was sucking air ? still dont know where from but it works now not gonna gorry any more

Comment

noisy 116

I also just purchased a new drive and have about 3 hours on it. I have noticed that when I throttle down quickly and the boat comes out out of plane I hear what sounds like a low pitched whistel sound that last for a second o2 2. It is very noticeable and concerning to me. Is the normal and will it go away once it is broken in?

Comment

It should quiet down after the break in period. If not give us a call.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
                        X