over heat above 3000 rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• over heat above 3000 rpm

i bought and installed a se 116 on a 265o prusuit it has a 06 5.7 merc tks with 140 hours witch i put 50 hours on it this season bought it in sept 08 with 20 hours installed new drive at 90 hours and had no problem until bay water heated up in the last 30 days or so. under 3000 rpm engine runs fine over 3000 rpm overheats right away . i noticed that the inlet hose on engine never gets hard when engine is at a highi rpm like others. so i hauled boat split units and installed new merc pump kit launched boat and now problem is worse ? why would there be silcone under water pump base? a big blob in each corner ? i read a thread about a guy droped a drivr off to you and you weilded something on it ? thos scaers me . i work a 80 hour a week job and make my boat ready in spring so i should have a trouble free season if tormorrow whhen i pull drive i find something else i will let you know . i have a water pressuer/volume problem from the tansom asy back . i am puzzled i have to check waterhose i did bellows and water hose in spring so maby itscolapsed on inside or o ring fell out when i mounted drive .i will let you know what i find . please get back to me. my e mail is shfd514@yahoo.please e mail me with any questions i will reply right away i carry my blackberry with me .

Hi, Bt Doctur returning the question.
    Considering the water inlet hose should never get hard unless there is a restriction in the outflow of water.
    considering the pump assembly is above the water line at cruise, it could be sucking air.You say you had changed it and it got worse. Could the gaskets have gotton dislodged? Did you remove the base gasket and clean any corrosion off the surface first?
    Ed

Comment

thanks ed i i cleaned everything and actualy the guy helping me is a certified merc mechanic but he doesent like the non oem drive . i dont mean rock hard hose but i shouldent be able to pinch it off with little to no effort at a high rpm. i worked in mercs for a while(like 15 years) i have never seen this symptom .neither had the guy who is the # head mechanic for a large dealer in my area. by large i mean forumla prusuit i am stumped he is gonna figure it out. its just weird . i lke the drive but we will see gonna pull the drive as soon as boat is on beach .i am at marinas mercey!!

Comment

could i have had problem in fall and cold water in bay hid problem ?

Comment

pulled leg fond nothing wrong passages clear . gonna pull pump tonight and seal the snot out of the base gasket. and see what happends .

Comment

any way i could have wrong gear ratio spinning pump too fast ive heard fo it but never seen it with my own eyes?

Comment

i have a 5.7 merc 2006 motor and i belive the ratio is a 1.47?

Comment

no comment from tec support?

Comment

The pump isn't going to be spinning to fast. You also need to make sure that the slinger on the top of the water pump housing is installed correctly.

You are more than welcome to give the warranty department a call so you can send it in and we will take a look at it. Maybe there is some specific issue with that case.

Tech Support

Comment

i glued al gasketts down whith adshevise m they wont leak at all .the gasketts i took off from the pump i just installed the other day had a perfect seal mark all the way around plate shouldent have leaked intake ports are spotless;.checked hose from bell housing to thermostat housing all clear put air backwards from thermostat housing with bell housing plugged and noair escaping gonna put drive on tonight and launch and test with clear hose on engine sat .if this doesent fix it your gonna get the drive in a box at your door .theni will put a nother drive on and try .

Comment

the saga has ended . put drive back on worked flawlessly. the pump must have ben suckng air . nice and cool now. thanks tec support for the guidance. i still wonder why all of a sudden this happens? well all is good in the hood. for now !

Comment

another 3 hour tour and no over heat ! all is good

Comment

over heat above 3000 rpm

Hi. I just had a new SEI drive installed a few weeks ago by a local marina and am having this exact problem. The engine runs normal (aboout 160 degrees) up to about 3200 RPMs. As soon as I run it up beyond that (to about 4000 RPMs) it will heat up to 200 degrees or more within about 60 seconds. When I throttle back to 3200 RPM it cools right back to 160.
                          Can you better explain the problem you found (sucking air) so that I can talk to my mechanic about it? Thank you

Comment

Working...
                          X