BLAM! Upper unit was gone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLAM! Upper unit was gone!

Just like that, at 2800 RPM the upper unit was gone! One tooth broke off one of the upper gears, the rest was history. It took about 15 seconds to bring to idle and then another 60 seconds to try to see what was wrong. Sounded real bad so I shut it down. After the tow, I pulled the drive off and the top cover. No dought what happened. Oil was clear and clean and at the right level. No fault of my own, just history prior to my ownership. Oh well, the big question now is: do I buy just the top or both top and bottom. If I try to save the bottom what does SternDrive recommend? I also assume at this point that one or both shafts in my upper unit are bent with this kind of failure. Write quick- I am ready to buy a new unit (alpha 1- gen 1).

The upper and lower share the same oil so the lower will have metal in it from the upper. You can inspect the drain plug magnet and see if you have any chunks of metal. The safest thing to do is replace both upper and lower.

Tech Support

Comment

The sei upper unit will bolt to the existing mercruiser lower unit?
      I am looking at either replacing bearings in my upper unit, or getting a new one. what kind of warranty does buying only upper unit have?

Comment

Yes, you can mix and match the units with the OEM. The 3 year fault free warranty would apply to just the upper if you only buy the upper.

Tech Support

Comment

Re-blam

make sure you flush the lower well with varsol or another solvent(diesel fuel)
          and do that several times to rid the unit of any and all metal particals that could have contaminated it,let drain and dry out well and you should be fine
          Boat Tech67

Comment

Working...
          X