SE205 Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SE205 Purchase

I began my experience with research. The result was to find SEI with a great product, with a great warrenty, a great value, and a great reputation.
    I agreed and purchased my lower unit for my 90 h.p. mercury saltwater.
    I emailed a few questions to SEI and they answered some. Not all. O.k. So, i moved forward and purchased. I would of at least liked to have an aknowledgement. I was astounded how fast and how well packed the unit was shipped. I opened the package and found the unit to look great, with the exclusion of the paint. The paint was pitted between the side fins. And, for the warrenty SEI wants a number off the lower unit. Is it the serial # the tag # or the cast # on the unit itself? I also e/mailed a question to SEI, that being, "do you have an install guide for the SE205 unit"? I received no response. So, i printed out the SE206 guide and tried to follow. i thought the guide would come with the unit. No luck. I installed the unit last night and hope it is correct. I will be gasing up the boat and starting the break in period this weekend.
    Just to let you all know, I hit a floating vertical palm tree in 20 feet of water. One fin from the prop stuck in the top of the tree and sheared off.
    trashed the lower unit. Good luck to all and i will update my lower unit progress.

Thank you for the feed back. It appears that you ordered the unit through another company, who then ordered it from us.

I am not sure if you emailed the other company, or us, but if it was us, I do apologize. It is possible that your email got caught in our spam filter.

If you have any questions, feel free to give us a call. We do not have an install guide for that model yet, as we have not found a local customer to do an install on. You can call our tech department and they will walk you through the install if needed. It sounds like you have it on already, so just check forward, neutral and reverse with the engine off. If that works, then it should be installed correctly.

The included warranty card is for your information. You can write the serial number from the metal tag on the card. That way if you ever need to call for warranty service, you will have the number recorded on the card and will not need to remove it to locate the number before opening a claim. If you have already installed it before noting the serial number, it is also on the box label, under the part number.

Thanks,

Tech Support

Comment

Excellent, I did install and then take off to check- then reinstalled. Very easy and i am sure i got it right. Thank you for the assistance. Following the SE206 instructions gave some guidance. Hope to be on the water this weekend. Thank you for the great product and the T-shirt.

Comment

5 hour break in

at 5 hours, i pulled boat out of water and checked fluid. added a little bit. the magnetic plug had some metal bits on it. i was concerned-then thought it to be just part of the break in process. running really smooth and am excited to be able to speed up and ski. should top up the next 5 hours this week and be able to change fluid. again, excellent product/ smooth operation/ easy install/ hoping for a long relationship with this lower unit. Does anyone have any idea what to do with the original lower unit?

Comment

20 plus hours on unit now. Running smooth with no noise or vibration. The only grief is the shifter will not easily transition from drive to neutral. When the engine stalls in drive it is very difficult to put into neutral for restart. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

It is generally more difficult to shift any lower unit when the engine is not running when compared to when it is. The design of the shift system of a 205 compared to other gear cases compounds this difference. The shift mechanism is a heavily spring loaded pin sliding headlong into a groove. A check of the proper shift adjustment may help your situation. The adjustment is made with the engine turned off and the gearcase shifted into neutral. Remove the engine cowling to gain access to the shift cable on the port side. Remove the nut holding the movable end of the shift cable and slide the retaining lever off of the fixed end and remove the cable. The block and stud where the moveable end of the cable was attached is called the shift slide. Moving the slide towards the rear shifts the unit into reverse. Moving it to the front is forward. Push the slide rearward towards reverse. Stop when resistance is felt. Take the shift cable and push the cable end towards the fixed end until resistance is felt (make the cable shorter). Adjust the cable barrel until the shift cable dimension matches the attachment points. Reinstall the cable. Tighten the nut against the nylon washer and then back it off ΒΌ turn to keep it from binding. Call and ask for the tech dept. if you have any questions.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
            X