The Great Canadian Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Canadian Experience

After much re-search on this forum and on the web in general, I decided to purchase the SE116 as a replacement drive for my Alpha 1 gen 2 sterndrive. My order included the complete install kit, gimbal, seals, bellows, nuts and bolts, and the complete upper and lower SE116. My invoice showed a nice discount for buying the complete install kit. The entire purchase including shipping was way less than OEM. Further, the SEI warranty is unbeatable.

For those Canadians in B.C., let me tell you, the shipping was affordable. All taxes and duties through Fedex was around $200 with no surprise brokrage fees. All parts were received by air in record time from Florida (about 3 days). Wow.

Putting the upper and lower units together was a little stiff, but good. The mating surfaces of the two halves are not exact or completely tight, but acceptable according to SEI. You may have to clean and re-seat the dog allignment pins. The SEI gimbal bearing does not come apart for packing grease and may be destroyed if attempted. I destroyed mine and had to buy OEM. Also note that the sterndrive paint chips off easily.

However, be sure to follow break-in proceedures and make sure cables are adjusted. It took a little time for the drive to engage in reverse, and disingage to nutral under load smoothly. Normal.

One other thing I found out is that these drives do not come with, or require, rub pads. I am not a marine sterndrive mechanic, but mechanicaly inclined. The drive bolted right on without a hitch.

I am now past the break-in time, with about 20 hours on the leg, and it runs great!

*SEI Customer Service = very good
    *SEI Sterndrive Warranty = Excellent
    *SEI uses Fedex. Ship time = Excellent
    *Through SEI fedex account, you pay no brokerage fees, just shipping and taxes. Expected.
    *SEI 116 sterndrive = as good as OEM, but for a lot less.

I could buy three SEI units to equal one OEM sterndrive. Rebuilding an OEM drive costs way more.

Over all, very happy thus far.

Best regards: Jazbog
    1993 Bayliner Ciera Sunbridge 27' LOA, with 350 Mercruiser.

I forgot to add, if you have any questions regarding my experience with SEI, their product, or importation costs, I will try to answer questions posted here.

Comment

Working...
    X