Replacement of outboard merc 115 lower unit better value than rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement of outboard merc 115 lower unit better value than rebuild

I had a reverse dog go bad in a 1998 Merc 115hp s stroke. Any sort of reasonable rebuild would have been $1500. For a little less than that, we had the reverse lever kit purchased and installed ( to switch from 3 jaw to 6 jaw), then installed the direct replacement lower unit from SEI. Not only are shifts crisper than ever, but the unit comes with a 3 year warranty. If we ever have to replace again (after warranty expires), we are now looking an easy bolt-on for under a $1,000, where as other options are twice that or more.

I followed the posted directions for gathering information, and called the well trained techs at SEI to pick the right lower units and complete the order.

Although I tackle most mechanical jobs like this on my own, in this instance I hired a local marine mechanic to do the reverse lever retrofit, which involved pulling the outboard head. He did it in 3 hours, and it was a few hundred bucks well spent. He also assisted me in putting the new lower unit back on, which I did in his yard in less than 30 minutes and he helped about 10 minutes with alignment to get the unit bolted on.

Thanks SEI for rescuing our bass fishing season without breaking the bank!

I just purchased the same lower unit for my 115, I'll be doing it my self. Hope to have it installed and be a happy SEI customer.

Comment

Working...
    X