lower unit grinding during breakin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lower unit grinding during breakin

I have 20 hrs on my new lower unit and have changed the gear oil twice after my unit started making grinding noise each time. The drain plug had alot of shavings each time. oil looked good.Could my upper unit be causing the trouble if so what should I inspect. What does the drive shaft fit into. Could there be teeth missing?I followed breakin by the book but after 10hrs while running it started grinding even in neutral.Went back to the house and changed gear oil grinding stopped then 10 hrs later grinding started while running again. What do you recommend.Should I return the lower unit and have you look at it? first picture is the second 10 hr gear oil change
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mwarmbir; 08-07-2014, 02:52 AM.

That looks like a yamaha plug. What motor do you have? If it is an outboard, then there is no upper unit. Either way, that amount of metal is too much. I don't think there is a broken tooth, but something isn't right. Please call the warranty department at 813-925-7127 and give them the drive serial number and they will give you an RG number so we can get a look at it.

Tech Support

Comment

I called and received a RG number as you recommended I mailed my LU via ups 100$(for ground shipping and insurance) you should receive my lower unit Monday or Tuesday.Thanks Tech Support. I can't wait to get back on the water. Lov my fishin.

Comment

Working...
      X