overall, SE106 has been OK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overall, SE106 has been OK

I purchased an SE106 lower unit a couple of years ago and installed it on my '87 searay with the big block (454 Magnum). I was told that there was no warranty because of the big block engine, but the original outdrive lasted 20 years, so I gave it a shot.

The boat weighs about 6,500 lbs loaded and I use it for fishing and cruising.
    I usually run the boat at above 30 mph.
    The first time out, the water pump impeller cam free from the hub and the engine overheated, badly. SEI offered to repalce the impeller, but I was more worried about potential damage to the engine. I put in a mercuiser impeller and the unit has worked problem-free for the last 2 years (probably 70 hours of use).

So, other than the impeller failing on the first day (and the only explanation can be that it was faulty from the manufacturer) my only 2 gripes are as follows: When I change the drive lube, I think that there are more filings than there should be on drain screw magnet.
    About 50% of the paint has come off the drive (Salt water use, boat the boat is trailered and washed after every use).

Overall, I think it is a good product and a good value.
Working...
X