Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drive is noisy when turned to the left or fight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive is noisy when turned to the left or fight.

Installed a new drive last summer and really had not used it, just started using the boat recently an the drive is noisy when turning left or right, going straight ahead it’s as quiet as ever, the sound is like you are hearing the propeller turn in the water, I installed a new gimbal bearing when we replaced the drive, any suggestions?

It sounds like it is a u-joint noise. Since you mentioned replacing the gimbal bearing I would suggest making sure the bearing is installed all the way. I have seen where it wasn't pushed all the way in and would cause this type of noise. Also, while the drive is off. inspect the u-joints for any movement in or out of the cups. If there is movement there, that could be what you are hearing and we would want to fix that.

Comment

Ok I will do that in the next couple weeks, is there anything to do to help the boat from porpoising, seems like I have zero trim adjustment.

Comment

Is it a cobra conversion that you did? Did you get the modified drive? It may be possible to modify the drive a little more, but you have to be careful not to go to far or the shifter will hit. With it trimmed down look underneath where you see the shifters come together. You should see what could hit if you go too far.

Comment

Yes I did it and got the modified drive from your company, I will look at it.

Comment

Hi can you email me pictures of where to modify the drive more if I have the clearances ? Thanks

Comment

Done, check your Email.

Comment

I got it, don’t think it can be trimmed anymore. I pulled the drive and the unjoints feel smooth, gimbal bearing the same way but I noticed the upper bellows is full of oil, what causes that? Anything else on the vibration when turning left or right? The drive I pulled out didn’t do it but had a bearing noise.
                Last edited by mustangman65; 08-11-2022, 05:41 PM.

Comment

U-joint noise is really quite noticeable. It would be a clicking sound that would change with RPM. If it is doing that, then there has to be some movement in the ujoint. Make sure you are moving the joint side to side when you are inspecting it. Basically trying to move the joint in and out of the cups.

Comment

Ok upon further inspection the joint closest to the shaft has side play in it, do I need to worry about oil from the drive in the driveshaft bellows?

Comment

I forgot about the oil in the bellows. It seems the best course of action would be to get the serial number off the upper unit and call 813-925-7127 and ask for warranty. They will write up an RG so you can send the upper unit back, Tell them about the oil in the bellows and the noisy u-joint so when it comes in they will know what to fix.

Comment

Ok, thanks for your help

Comment

Working...
                        X