Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grinding noise when turning

Hi,
    I' ve got a brand new SE106 outdrive and after about two hours of usage i noticed a grinding noise when turning the steering to the left or right more than the half of the maximum angle.The coupler and the gimbal bearing were new and the alignment was ok.So the only thing that i could suspect was bad quality crosses.Anyway i took the outdrive out and i noticed the followings: 1)coupler and gimbal bearing looked perfect
    2)i had omited to put the fat o-ring at the groove at the middle of the long yoke(at the beginning of the splines)(i don't think this was the problem since the older long yoke hadn't at all this o-ring)
    3)long yoke had no signs of wear
    4)there wasn't any play at the crosses.
    5)the exhaust bellows was cut at the end towards the outdrive(i can't imagine how this may influence)
    The only noticeable thing i found was that the cross attached to the short yoke, at the one side, let's name it left side(see pix),had its cap more extended like it almost touched the big alloy retainer.I looked at the other end of the cap to check if the retainer was at its groove and it looked ok.Finally when turning by hand the whole unit i couldn't find something wrong.Please help.

My first thought is that the gimbal bearing is not installed all the way. We have had some other customers complain of a similar noise and that is what it turned out to be. The bearing should actually be recessed slightly into it's bore.

Take a look at that and let me know,

Tech Support

Comment

Thanks for replying
      When i had placed the gimbal bearing i 'm sure it reached the bottom of the bore but it would be easier to confirm it if you can inform about the distance between the base of the long yoke and the gimbal bearing when the outdrive is fully engaged.Should there be a specific distance between them or they come face to face?

Comment

I have been looking for a picture of the bearing installed, but I haven't had any luck yet. I don't know the measurement you are looking for,
        but I am pretty sure that it should not touch.

Tech Support

Comment

Shall i asume that the center of the distance between the 2 orings should be at the center of the bore of the gimbal bearing?

Comment

gimbal

Check page 4A-14 in this link, shows the depth of the bearing.
            http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6A4R3.PDF

Comment

Although i had got the service manual i hadn't noticed that information.Very helpful,thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X