Upper Drive Oil Seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Drive Oil Seal

I replaced the impeller on the SEI106 lower unit, as I re-assemble the unit seems like an oil seal from the upper drive shaft broke, it is a plastic piece with a spring inside. Do you have a link to instructions on how to replace this seal? looks like it is a small one at the end of the upper unit.

thanks

It is pretty simple to replace, you just need to have the upper turned upside down and take a long screwdriver through the exhaust cavity and pry out the old seal. To install the new one you need a suitable driver and rod such as a socket and an extension. Use the socket backwards and make sure it is larger than the seal so the seal will end up flush with the case, not recessed. Any marine dealer should have the seal you need.

Tech support

Comment

thanks for the quick reply, my problem is that the seal came off completely, and I dont know or cant see where it is supposed to go. Do you have any diagrams that show the placement?

Comment

I don't have a diagram readily available. If you flip the upper upside down and shine a flashlight down there, you will see the splines of the gear when looking down the seal bore.. The seal goes in the round hole right there and sits flush with the housing. It is the only round hole that is sized properly for the seal, so you can't miss it.

Tech Support

Comment

seal

In this link on page 3A-13 and 3A-15 shows the seal.
          http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6covr3.pdf

Comment

thanks for the help! I bought the part and it has the rubber seal and the metal casing the seal goes on. The rubber seal and the spring is what broke, can I pry the rubber seal from the new part I bought and replace on the metal casing already in the housing? Looks like the rubber seal is glued to the metal on the new part and I dont want to break it again.

Comment

No, you have to pry out the old metal casing and replace the whole part.

Tech Support

Comment

OK, got it installed... it was easy as you said, just had to be careful it went in leveled and finished flush. many thanks

Comment

Any Pictures

I think I have this same issue. Could you tell me the part # for the seal I need to order? Anywhere I can find pictures on how to remove/install? Thanks.

Comment

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6A3R3.PDF go to this link and then to page 31 for a diagram on the install. It is pretty straight forward especially after reading all the posts in this thread. The part number is 26-96503 1 and can be purchased from any Mercruiser dealer.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
                    X